Rookie Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake and racked into the keg before taking my FG and ended up with 1.020. My OG was 1.050 and I was shooting for 1.010 any harm in treating the keg like a secondary for a few more days, or should i just throw it on some CO2. It was on the yeast (wlp400) for 12 days at 70 degrees.

Its been in the keg for a week now its starting to carb up. Do you think i should just throw it on gas, or release pressure take a gravity and go from there?

I wouldn't be sealing that keg without a spunding valve to control the pressure inside. 10 points of gravity is a lot of CO2.

Its been in the keg for a week now its starting to carb up. Do you think i should just throw it on gas, or release pressure take a gravity and go from there?

If you want to follow best practices, you should should always use a hydrometer before packaging. A lot fewer surprises that way...

Cheers!

That was "then", but your question was "now", and I'd say check the FG and if it is in the ball park of "complete" keg it up and get it on the CO2...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
That was "then", but your question was "now", and I'd say check the FG and if it is in the ball park of "complete" keg it up and get it on the CO2...

Cheers!

After another week I'm only at 1.018

The best way not to lose sleep over FG is not to take one. In 10 years or so I have taken almost no OG or FG and I have never had a beer turn out bad.

The best way not to lose sleep over FG is not to take one. In 10 years or so I have taken almost no OG or FG and I have never had a beer turn out bad.

I would have to disagree. The best way to not lose sleep over FG is to actually measure it at the appropriate times and act accordingly. That way you never worry about it (a benefit your approach and mine share) AND you can be confident that you haven't bottled or kegged early (a benefit yours does not have).

:D

Keep in mind if there's already CO2 dissolved into the beer, your gravity reading is going to be incorrect unless you degas the sample. If you've had it in a keg, sealed, there's probably a lot of CO2 in the beer already.

Keep in mind if there's already CO2 dissolved into the beer, your gravity reading is going to be incorrect unless you degas the sample. If you've had it in a keg, sealed, there's probably a lot of CO2 in the beer already.

so would that make the FG higher?

Back