Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
So, I just had a bottle of this and it is flat amazing. Has anyone tried to formulate a recipe for this yet? I know it uses Citra and Centennial for dry hopping, but not sure what is used (and the schedule) during the boil.

Yes, see this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ruinations-10th-anniversery-333697/ . I brewed a clone 10 days ago, currently dry hopping.

It's 5lbs per barrel of hops with a pound each of citra and centennial in the dry hop. Ruination is about 95% 2-row and 5% Crystal 15. Stone's yeast is WLP007.

70% Effciency
21lbs 2-row (94.5%)
1.25lbs C15 (5.5%)

3.2oz Columbus @ 90
3.2oz Centennial @ 30
3.2oz Centennial @ 0

Dry Hop:
3.2oz Centennial
3.2oz Citra

Dry Hops divided into two additions. I'm doing 5 days each

5QT Starter of WLP007.

OG: 1.096 FG: 1.014

I hit 1.093 for an OG, but mine under attenuated at 1.017. Not the end of the world, as the sample tastes dead on. If you brew this, make a freaking massive starter(5-6QT), and oxygenate the living crap out of your wort. Seriously. This is a massive beer, that's all-malt, and needs to finish rather dry.

5qt starter? Was that with a stirplate?

Ya. It sounds ridiculous, but you need a boat load of yeast for this beer. Mr Malt says 3.5L starter on a stirplate. That assumes 97% yeast vitality. Most times you're working with an older vial than that. So that already puts us up to 5L. Then you need to account for the fact this is a 1.096 beer, and we're working with an english yeast. I pitched 5QT, and I under attenutated. I'd heavily consider 6QT or so.

FYI, you definitely want to bitter with Columbus. It's definitely not Centennial for the 90 minute addition. CTZ gives it that nice aggressive bitterness that this beer needs. Otherwise, it would be nothing but Centennial and Citra, and that would be rather fruity.

Back