Smoking Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
Has anyone here smoked grain before using it in a batch of beer. I just bought a smoker and have just found out about cold smoking. I make a Snow Cap clone and thought a hint of smoke flavor might be tasty. Any thoughts?

I tried smoking it but couldn't keep it lit. Sorry. Couldn't resist. I have seen posts on another forum where people will put a big pot of Ice inside the smoker and then put a grill/grate on top of it and then put what ever they wanted to smoke in another pot or pyrex, etc. on top of the grate.

I've had a beer brewed with home smoked malt, but it wasn't mine. It was really subtle, and they smoked most of the malt in the batch, IIRC. I think smoking the malt when it's green will get a lot more aggressive smoke taste.

I tried smoking grains way back before it was easy to buy Breiss smoked malt. And I have a smoked Helles on tap right now using Breiss. IMHO, smoking yourself is a huge waste of time and the level of smoke will be highly inconsistent. 20% Breiss will make a Helles nice and smoky like Schlenkerla, or a porter mildly/fairly smoky. Stick with what'll work and leave the smoking to the pros.

uechikid, let me know how it turns out if you try it. Curious about it myself. Though problem is: I've never tried a beer that's smoked. But wonder if it really takes much to smoke malt? Might seem a lot, but then get the beer brewing and it may not be enough smoke in the beer OR too much smoke also.
Then another thought just occured (which might have been touched upon before,IDK?) Would you use undermodified malt for that purpose? I'd imagine some starch conversion would happen during smoking. Might lose something there. Who knows?

Well, I have done one smoked beer. Called it "Smoky!! Is that you?" If any one has seen the movie Friday. I used a Big Green Egg it was a 18# grain bill and I took 2# of the grain and smoked it for 20min really 10 would probably do it. I really liked it and all my brew friends Liked it. One thing it will make you want to go get BBQ when you drink one. I did Applewood for mine, think that when smoking the fruit woods are the best just because there lighter in flavor than Hickory or harder woods.
I love trying new brews and smoking grain is a fun easy way to play. Hope you have a good brew at the end.

Keg- Hop Slap 10% Imperial IPA, Coffee Stout, Bourbon Barrel Black Imperial IPA, Irish Red
Primary- 10gal Hop Slap, 10gal Saison, 10gal Flanders Red 120 days in

I've just built a roasting drum for my BBQ, and have tested it with a gas burner. Smoking it with charcoal and wood chips is a plan for the future. I'm also interested to see what it does!

I've smoked my own malt. I use the ProQ Cold Smoke Generator in my smoker. Grain gets split between a few stainless mesh colanders that I picked up at the local Asian market. Three hours over a blend of cherry, hickory and apple gave me a nice mellow flavor. I actually prefer more smoke character, so next time I'll probably use all hickory and try four hours. BTW, the ProQ also works great for smoking cheese.

bought applewood chips for my smoker just so i can smoke some of the base malt for a breakfast stout

I've smoked 2-row several times in my UDS. Kept the temp extremely low for a couple of hours. Used the malt in a smoked amber and a porter. The porter's grist was mostly home smoked malt and converted fine. I'd encourage you to try it. I'd do it again.

I smoked malt in a smoker. No cold smoking involved. You definitely need to soak the grains (and keep them moist) so they grab the smoke and don't get toasty from the heat. I agree that you won't get as aggressive of a smoke flavor doing the smoking on the back end of the process rather than during kilning but you can still get a good flavor as long as you get a lot of smoke and you're willing to be patient and taste until you're happy with it. It took me about an hour of smoking to get a good smoke flavor out of oak but other woods may make smoke more and cut down your time.

So with a grain bill of 32lbs two row pale, how many pounds would I need to smoke to add some smoke flavor to a ten gallon patch?

Back