Added vanilla;fear infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amd133mhz

Reaction score
I just racked my BB Robust Porter(nottingham ale yeast) into secondary after 10 days in primary, gravity was at 1.011 from 1.050OG. temp was at a constant 68-69F and things looked and smelled good. I completely forgot to add my vanilla bean after I racked. so I sliced the two beans open,scrapped out the sticky black stuff cut the rest up minus the very ends and added it to about 2 ox of spiced rum,I used spiced rum because It was the highest proof(70) liquor i had (i was not going to waste my scotch) let it sit for about an hour or so. then ran it through a coffee filter and was left with rum soaked vanilla bean gunk and chopped up pieces. and basically just tossed that in:cross: (i did not toss in the coffee filter i just used that to hold onto it so i wouldnt risk touching the mashed up beans)

I wanted to add them in first and rack onto them, but forgot basically because I wasnt expecting to hit that low of a gravity so soon and kinda got on the ball while I had time to rack it,since last time i racked(the first time i brewed,the beer was very clear and everything went well)

I now have a "oil slick" like effect(24 hrs later) on the top of my beer,and of coarse a little bit of tiny foam spots(which happened last time not worried) Would the "oil like" color be from the liquor soaked vanilla beans,just the vanilla itself or possibly something else? or just normal to see this? Thanks in advanced !:D

Note: This is my second brew, the first one turned out fabulous:mug: so i decided to try something new,in this case a robust porter with vanilla,read up got a few ideas,talked to the wonderful ppl at my LHBS and decided to do it cept that I forgot and added them after i racked,like an hour after Cheers!:drunk:

The vanilla beans probly have some oils in them that are rising up in the beer. I wouldn't worry yet.

What do you do with this when it's time to bottle? I think cooling the beer to near freezing might help suspend oils in the beer, but not sure if you want that in a bottle. Or just stop bottling as the oil level on the beer gets close to the spigot, and you would have 2-3 beers left and the oil slick on top that get thrown out

What do you do with this when it's time to bottle? I think cooling the beer to near freezing might help suspend oils in the beer, but not sure if you want that in a bottle. Or just stop bottling as the oil level on the beer gets close to the spigot, and you would have 2-3 beers left and the oil slick on top that get thrown out

I'd assess the situation at bottling time, but like you said, just stop before the oils hit the racking cane. Better yet, instead of throwing that out the last few brews, have a few sanitized bottles on hand and rack the remaining few brews into them, toss in a sugar cube and cap em. No better way to experiment than with vanilla oil beer.

Good luck

After I pitch the yeast, I cut/gut the vanilla beans and put them in a cup with about 1-2 ounces of vodka. When I rack to secondary, I toss the vodka/vanilla mixture in on top. No sanitation worries and the vanilla mixes in better with the beer.

Yea this beer turned out to be my best ever. best flavor,best head retention best everything. Sadly its all gone. I am brewing a milk stout now,nothing special added

Back