Pickup Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Reaction score
Anyone ever try putting their boil kettle pickup tube on a float so you transfer from the top down instead of solely from the bottom where the trub is?

on a float? my pickup tube is screwed into a bulkhead near the bottom so it won't float but i can turn it to the side or even straight up so as to avoid picking up trub but i let it all go into the fermentor most times anyway.

Yeah.. screw a hose barb fitting onto your bulkhead and then take a piece of tubing a couple of feet long and attach your screen or whatever you use to filter the hops to something that floats so it picks up wort just below the surface.

Yeah.. screw a hose barb fitting onto your bulkhead and then take a piece of tubing a couple of feet long and attach your screen or whatever you use to filter the hops to something that floats so it picks up wort just below the surface.

that's doing too much. there is no real reason to do something like this but it would be interesting to see it in action, i would pay a dollar to see it.

I am thinking of doing this to limit the amount of trub I transfer into the carboy. By the time I start the transfer all of the trub should be settled at the bottom of the kettle. I won't pick any of it up because I am transferring from the top of the liquid column the entire time. Just a thought... I've been transferring way to much trub into the carboy and am trying to come up with a way to mitigate that. This is just one idea... Thought somebody else may have tried it and could give some feedback.

trub in your carboy is not really a problem in the sense that it does nothing bad to your beer. avoiding putting trub in your beer is not a problem either if you are inclined that way but i'm just saying you are not avoiding anything except putting trub in the carboy. when i use whole hops it sometimes clogs my drain valve so i just dump the whole kettle into my fermentor and i get the same clear, tasty beer i get when i don't get trub in the fermentor. that trub is also a nutrient fr the yeast so it may be beneficial to have it in with the beer.

Back