Help please. I'm boiling wort now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I am brewing Denny's Wry Smile IPA as I type. My problem is that I'm only 15 mins or so into the boil and according to my refractometer I am already at my projected OG of 1.073. I guess my efficiency was pretty good. There is still about 6 gals in the pot so should I keep boiling to 5 gals which will probably get me to ~ 1.085 or should I stop boiling sooner and try to fit it all into my 6 gal fermenter maybe using Fermcap to keep it from blowing off the top? Thanks in advance and wish me luck.

when you took your reading what was the temperature, also why are you taking a reading at 15 minutes into your boil?

I'd just boil for an hour or what ever you planned on doing and just ride it out.

also from this statement "I guess my efficiency was pretty good" I am assuming this is ALL GRAIN if so what was your Starting Gravity when you started your boil?

-=Jason=-

If it were me, I would continue with the boil and have a stronger beer.

Its more important to me to get the proper hop utilization, especially out of a beer like Wry Smile.

Bottling the same beer later on tonight, oddly enough.

Good luck

I'm drinking Wry Smile as I read this... oddly enough. Must be a Wry Smile kind of day!

I always take a brix reading partway thru my boil to see how things are coming. Brix is 19 now and I still need to boil down about 2 qts more.

Latest posts

Back