OK, I am taking the plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
My electrician is coming this weekend to install 4 220v 30 amp plug receptacles, and 4 110v 20 amp receptacles, all with GFCI. My plan is to run 2 5500 watt heating elements each in my HLT and boil kettle. Then 3, possibly 4 March pumps. I am going to run a HERMS system via my HLT. Here is my question: What are some good PIDs that will control temperature in my HLT, mash tun, and boil kettle? Oh yeah, the simpler the better. I am not an electrical engineer, I just want to brew good beer. Thanks

That is a lot of power! I think you best bet will still be an Auber PID with an ssr to power the elements. Seems to be the best and cheapest way to accurately control a heating element for our purposes.

How big a system are you planing??

That is a lot of power. I have 60A available and do 5-10 gallons quite nicely with 2 5500W elements, a couple pumps and associated controls.

If your doing 20+ gallons then god speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockin::ban:

So far I like the Auber's the best. But I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking some other models that might be good too. Thanks

That is a lot of power! I think you best bet will still be an Auber PID with an ssr to power the elements. Seems to be the best and cheapest way to accurately control a heating element for our purposes.

Currently I am only doing 5 gallon batches, and initially I plan on just using one 5500 watt element in my HLT, and one 5500 watt element in my brew kettle. Being the impatient type, if things don't heat up fast enough for me I wanted to have enough capacity to double up on my elements. Also, in the beginning I am going to combine my HLT and my HERMS tank, but later on I think that I may split them up. In any case, I'd rather have too much power at my disposal than not enough. More importantly, I'm not sure I could go back to the wife for more money to add more power later on. :)

How big a system are you planing??

That is a lot of power. I have 60A available and do 5-10 gallons quite nicely with 2 5500W elements, a couple pumps and associated controls.

If your doing 20+ gallons then god speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockin::ban:

Yeah, there's a lot of information on there. At this point in my electric brewing career, that place is all like a fantasy land to me. But I didn't see anything about PID model recommendations.

See here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=11

It's the Auber Instruments SYL-2352 PID controller I recommend.

And here for the SSR side of things: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=13

Wiring pics:

PIDs.jpg

elements.jpg

Kal

I seen that, and it is awesome information for a beginner like me on how to wire the Auber PID. At based on what I have been able to learn so far, I think that Auber PIDs are the way I am going to go. All I was saying was that there wasn't a list of recommended brands and models to decide between. Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to go with it. :)

See here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=11

It's the Auber Instruments SYL-2352 PID controller I recommend.

And here for the SSR side of things: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=13

Wiring pics:

PIDs.jpg

elements.jpg

Kal

Brew day is pretty much .... drink .... pee... brew ... repeat. I'll find time to pee, trust me. ;)

You certainly won't need patience w/ an 11,000w kettle for 5 gallon batches. My god, you won't even have time to take a pee while coming to a boil...:mug:

You'll have 2 30 amp receptacles that will never be used, just sayin. I suppose you could brew and have light saber wars with two stick welders, at the same time.

_

I am planning to have two 30 amp circuits with two receptacles each. If I run two 5500 watt elements in a single kettle I will cross connect so that I only draw 30 amps from each circuit. I don't think I'll ever run two kettles at once. If I do, then I'll be limited to 5500 watts per kettle. Maybe it's inexperience and ignorance, But I can't imagine a situation where I have too much power. If I do, I can always dial it down a few notches. :D

You'll have 2 30 amp receptacles that will never be used, just sayin. I suppose you could brew and have light saber wars with two stick welders, at the same time.

_

Back