If you like hoppy ambers... Jamil's Red Rocket Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
I just finished a bomber that I bottled from a keg, I have no more now:(. Anyhow, as the title suggests, if you like hoppy ambers, you owe it to yourself to brew Jamil's Red Rocket Clone. I had more than one evening drinking session with a neighbor enjoying this brew. With my efficiency, it came in at 8%. I did cut the IBUs from 60-something to 45. The last few pints I enjoyed just seemed to be better and better (I brewed it in April, with the high abv, the extra time sure helped). With the draining of the bomber tonight, I already miss this beer. FWIW, this is a definite do-over for me!

Love him or hate him, you gotta respect the man's recipes. His Amber - Red Ale is also one of my favourites. Probably my most-brewed beer.

I tried some sort of extract version of his recipe, and it turned out great!

is this the recipe or is it different?

74.5 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
3.9 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
7.8 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
7.8 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
3.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
2.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.034 200

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 15.00 30.1 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.40 2.2 10 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.40 3.8 10 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.40 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.40 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

is this the recipe or is it different?

(snipped, see above)

That's the one. I've brewed it a couple of times. I like big hoppy beers so it suits me. But I took some to a club meeting recently and it wasn't received all that well, though in retrospect I shouldn't have presented it as an American Amber because it's way out of style for that. Plus it was sorta young.

Mine ended up 1.067 (FG 1.014) and 66 IBU's.

I just brewed this and noted a couple things. The first is that the real deal has a lot more hop aroma. I definitely think there needs to be some dry hopping here. The second is that the sweetness is "different". I almost think the 120 should be increased to 1 lb. and the 40 either eliminated and replaced with base or at least reduced.

I am enjoying the beer, but I thought it missed the mark by a bit on Red Rocket. Will do a little experimentation next time I brew it.

Back