Wheat Beer taste question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrbb

Reaction score
I don't like the weird fruity/lemony taste in wheat type beers (it's not good for me, I know it is a very popular flavor/style). Is that the taste of adding fruit or additives or is it from the wheat extract or yeast? I noticed Duvel had that similar taste too though not as pronounced as some others (like hacker-pschor).

This is why I need to write down what I brew. No additives in mine and had the lemony taste (which I like) yeast was nothing special, want to say nottingham? chinook hops I believe

Wheat beers are naturaly kind of tangy and sometime smell like whole wheat bread. I just bought 4 six packs of different wheat beers and compared them, they all have the same base flavor. It's funny, wheat beers have alway been my favorite but they do taste strange... I think I like the coriander/orange peel they usually have.

Traditional German Hefe has no additives..........the fruity flavors are 100% derived from the yeast esters.......bannana and cloves. Belgian styles, and some of the American wheat beers add lemon or orange peel and/or coriander.

Try SA hefe.Doesnt taste like a hefe ut it's pretty good and made with mostly wheat.

Well, if you're drinking a wit! A traditional hefe will definitely not have coriander flavors.... you need to add coriander seeds for that....

Absolutey true, I like wit's. The first time I bought a hefeweizen I took it back becaus I thought it was gone bad. The guy who owned the store contested me so I opened one and he then agreed, lmao! I like them now but they are a little wierd to me. Hefe is AHBS #2 selling kit behing their Belgian Wheat so obviously I am a minority here. Hefe's can go from brew to glass in 3 weeks too, pretty cool.

Well, if you're drinking a wit! A traditional hefe will definitely not have coriander flavors.... you need to add coriander seeds for that....

Not always. if the proper esters form you can get a variety of flavors commonly associated with other foods. I'd have to look up the specific esters associated with coriander and do some other research to see how they might be arrived at in the fermentation process.

coriander seeds def! If you want a wheat without that taste dont and orange and corriander and use a yeast like white labs 320 american wheat it does not have the banana and clove notes their 300 does

Latest posts

Back