Please tell me this is Krausen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks normal to me. There are a few reasons to have some foam reappear in a secondary vessel-- change in temperature (CO2 will come out of solution and could create a foam) or fermentation not really done.

Did you check your specific gravity to see if fermentation is done? Has the ambient temperature risen?

-Steve

I've had that several times before in my secondary as well. I always get the weirdest looking beer when it comes time to rest in the secondary, and I always freak out, and it always ends up coming out fine. I usually just comfort myself by going and looking at pictures of REAL infected fermentations online :p

If anything I moved it to a cooler place, the downstairs can get really cold at times.

And no, actually I forgot to take a OG and a week later I still hadn't so I was just being lazy and transfered it. It's been in the secondary for almost two weeks now. I'm going to leave it there for another week or so until I can buy some bottles.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who freaks out at the simplest things.:D

I've had that several times before in my secondary as well. I always get the weirdest looking beer when it comes time to rest in the secondary, and I always freak out, and it always ends up coming out fine. I usually just comfort myself by going and looking at pictures of REAL infected fermentations online :p

If anything I moved it to a cooler place, the downstairs can get really cold at times.

And no, actually I forgot to take a OG and a week later I still hadn't so I was just being lazy and transfered it. It's been in the secondary for almost two weeks now. I'm going to leave it there for another week or so until I can buy some bottles.

No! Recycle! Go to a bar on a sunday morning, ask them if you can take the bottles from the recycling bin (Most bars around here lock their bins), and you'll be set for the next few batches. Clean and delabel, and you'll be happy you did in the end. I dunno about you, but aside from the ***** that delabeling is (even with soaking the bottles in oxyclean for days), I still get great satisfaction when it's all done. Who pays for bottles these days, anyways? :p

Problem is I don't know where any of the bars are around here and I'm not a huge fan of delabeling.

Anyway, question two is should I rake it again? To a thirdary (is that even a word?)

No! Recycle! Go to a bar on a sunday morning, ask them if you can take the bottles from the recycling bin (Most bars around here lock their bins), and you'll be set for the next few batches. Clean and delabel, and you'll be happy you did in the end. I dunno about you, but aside from the ***** that delabeling is (even with soaking the bottles in oxyclean for days), I still get great satisfaction when it's all done. Who pays for bottles these days, anyways? :p

the problem with bottles at bars is most of them will be screw top. I just delabeled my first bottles for my first batch. All it took was a soak in oxyclean overnight and all the labels were gone.

Shouldn't you have your secondary in a 5 gallon carboy and filled to the neck? Once you have the brew up to the neck of the carboy the surface area for contamination is smaller.

5 Gallon Better Bottle much safer for me, never had enough liquid to go all the way up to the neck.

the problem with bottles at bars is most of them will be screw top. I just delabeled my first bottles for my first batch. All it took was a soak in oxyclean overnight and all the labels were gone.

Screw top? Hardly. Not if they're drinking the good stuff anyways :ban:

Seriously though, the only time I had any trouble with screw tops was when I took a bunch of bottled Budweisers? to find out they were all screwy. I get a few screw tops here and there randomly, but maybe 1 in every 30 bottles I find. Even then, one top I capped a dozen screw tops and didn't even realize they WERE screw until I drank them...fully carbonated and all :D

By the time the beer is in secondary, it's beer: it has alcohol and a pH to not easily contaminate (and when it's in primary, it's expelling so much CO2, it's not getting much oxygen). Having some headspace is OK with beer. As for the OP, yeah, sometimes my secondaries get some bubbles, hops, yeast floaties, or a slight oil slick. It all turns out well...and if I've got floaties, they tend to drop down once I crash cool.

Whatever is on top of the conditioning beer is not much of an indicator of its health: if you're still worried about your beer, taste it! The only time I've had an infected beer, it was quite obvious from the smell/taste. But when it's in a carboy, I've noticed it's pretty hard to get an idea of what the color, much less flavor profile is like (not unless you have some special technique for tasting by not drawing a sample ;) ) I always just guage my beer's maturity by tasting a small sample of it before going on to bottling/kegging.

By the time the beer is in secondary, it's beer: it has alcohol and a pH to not easily contaminate (and when it's in primary, it's expelling so much CO2, it's not getting much oxygen). Having some headspace is OK with beer. As for the OP, yeah, sometimes my secondaries get some bubbles, hops, yeast floaties, or a slight oil slick. It all turns out well...and if I've got floaties, they tend to drop down once I crash cool.

Whatever is on top of the conditioning beer is not much of an indicator of its health: if you're still worried about your beer, taste it! The only time I've had an infected beer, it was quite obvious from the smell/taste. But when it's in a carboy, I've noticed it's pretty hard to get an idea of what the color, much less flavor profile is like (not unless you have some special technique for tasting by not drawing a sample ;) ) I always just guage my beer's maturity by tasting a small sample of it before going on to bottling/kegging.

I had actually been afraid of taking off the airlock and plug for fear of smell. I wanted to see what everyone else thought before I did that (denial anyone?);)

Anyway thank you everyone!

I had actually been afraid of taking off the airlock and plug for fear of smell. I wanted to see what everyone else thought before I did that (denial anyone?);)

When it comes to waiting for that beer to turn out perfect.....I've learned to trust my nose and my taste buds: not so much my eyes and especially NOT what my brain fears :D

From what I see of your photos, I suspect you'll taste nothing but good beer! As memory serves, a California Common that I just finished off had some slight bubbles and even yeast floaties just stay up top. But I shoved my probe through it, poured a sample into a shot glass, and it tasted like a perfect ale :ban:

As for your OP on clarifying....I've also found that it's very hard to judge clarity from the carboy. If you're adding fruit in a secondary, that's going to always keep the beer less clear, obviously.....but taking that small sample is great for judging the flavor profile and how the color is doing.

Back