Anyone tried corking S. Pellegrino bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
they are a 750ml green bottle. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. I have a ton of them sitting around

thanks!

I've never corked them, but I have found a few places that sell them with pry-off caps, so I have recapped them with success.

I've never heard of this particular wine before.

If it will take crown caps it must be a champagne bottle.

I'm thinking a standard #9 cork will work.

BTW - Did you use a standard crown cap, or did it take an oversized cap, like some champagne bottles require?

Pogo

I've never heard of this particular wine before.

If it will take crown caps it must be a champagne bottle.

I'm thinking a standard #9 cork will work.

BTW - Did you use a standard crown cap, or did it take an oversized cap, like some champagne bottles require?

Pogo

San Pelligrino is just bottled water, they have a few different bottles that they use and the crown cap variety uses regular crown caps.

from what it looks like and comparing it to other bottles. It looks like I would essentially be trying to cork a twist of beer bottle. The pellegrino bottles have much bigger threads and the glass is a bit thicker than a beer bottle. Im asking about size of opening and I guess if it will break or not....thanks for the replies

I measured the interior diameter of a S.P. bottle and it looks to be roughly the same size. The bottles are thinner than a regular wine bottle neck(at least around where the cork sits), though, so I'd be worried about breaking them when you corked them. Plus the shape of the S.P. bottles are a little wierd, they flare out faster than a wine bottle neck, so the cork would be kind of hanging out down in the bottle, I don't know if that would affect the seal. I'd stick to wine bottles!

Take a bottle, fill it with colored water and attempt to cork it. Hang it upside down for at least a few days if not a week. If it starts to leak, then its a definite no. If it doesn't, there still is a risk, but I have bottle in glass screw off soda bottles with corks and haven't had an issues once.

Take a bottle, fill it with colored water and attempt to cork it. Hang it upside down for at least a few days if not a week. If it starts to leak, then its a definite no. If it doesn't, there still is a risk, but I have bottle in glass screw off soda bottles with corks and haven't had an issues once.

Good idea. That way you can make sure that it seals without wasting any wine.

Its what I did before wasting any wine I had spent a year brewing in bottles I was risking it in.

I was googling and found your website. Here is my question:

How about using the existing SP screw cap to cap home brewed wine. I have started my a 5 gallon batch of Chokecherry and think the caps will last as long as it takes me to drink it up. What do you say? The cap is designed to hold pressure in the SP bottle after it is opened. I have had success using screw capped glass seven-up bottles to hold beer when they were made.

How about buying wine with screw capped wine bottles and recycling the bottle and cap for home wine making use?

Thanks for your reply. I will check back in a few days for replies.

Basementbru :mug: :)

Those caps are not designed to reseal the bottle for any real length of time, not the SP bottles or wine bottles. They certainly wouldn't hold any pressure after the initial opening. They will provide a barrier between the wine and the air but I wouldn't trust my wine in them.

Hello! I’m new here so I apologize for commenting on a post over a decade old, but I’m new to making wine and wanted to know if I could successfully bottle the mead in these 750 ml screw cap San Pelligrino bottles. I buy them by the case from Costco and hate to just chuck them in the recycling bin. I want to know if can use them so I began googling and came across this old post. Since this was the only thing I could really find on these bottles, I wanted to comment in the hopes of helping the next lost soul wondering about them. I was successfully able to cork them with a #8 cork and a rather inexpensive corker I got from amazon. I corked a few, one full of water and left on its side with no leaks.

Attachments

• 8FF3CD7D-502C-4E81-9998-A4546938C524.jpeg
    8FF3CD7D-502C-4E81-9998-A4546938C524.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 51
  • D2683B08-ED9D-4892-BD57-0D4A8798FD5F.jpeg
    D2683B08-ED9D-4892-BD57-0D4A8798FD5F.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 96B971F0-0F5F-4A47-96D5-05CA699ED79D.jpeg
    96B971F0-0F5F-4A47-96D5-05CA699ED79D.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 51
  • ED3B81E1-B1AD-4404-B843-8FD27E204BB1.jpeg
    ED3B81E1-B1AD-4404-B843-8FD27E204BB1.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 583777EB-A68A-48DF-9F75-B3511B4BCA65.jpeg
    583777EB-A68A-48DF-9F75-B3511B4BCA65.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 51
I bought a whole case at Costco for $23. That's cheaper than the empties sold on Amazon. I get a supply of water too! I'm going to try some wine in them. The bottles I tested with water all resealed with the existing caps and no leaks except one. The labels come off easily by soaking in hot water for five minutes and then wipe off glue.

Latest posts

Back