Yeast starters and a mess on SWMBO's stove...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamnq6

Reaction score
Alright there ladies and gents, yet again during my boil for a starter I made a huge mess of the stove top do to a boil over or four... You guys have any tips or tricks? Even if I'm watching the starter like a hawk I seem to make a mess..

I don't mean this in any condescending way, but...a bigger pot?

I brew one-gallon on the stove top in a 2 gallon pot, and have had no trouble. Full 90 minute, big rolling boils.

+1 on the bigger pot. Also try boiling over lower heat. Was the lid on the pot? I usually leave the lid on until it gets close to boiling and then leave the pot uncovered for the rest. Keeping the lid on causes oil overs to happen easily. I have not used fermcap yet but if u still have a problem I would look into it.

+1 on the fermcap. I boil my starters in a 2L flask and fermcap is a must have. Those things are like volcanoes on the stove.

+1 on the fermcap. I boil my starters in a 2L flask and fermcap is a must have. Those things are like volcanoes on the stove.

Another vote for Fermcap. Boiling in a flask is almost always a recipe for a boil over unless you use Fermcap.

Don't dump all the extract in immediately. Feed it in smaller percentages so you have less hot break to handle at one time.

+1 on Fermcap-S.
+1 on using a larger pan/pot.

I once used a sauce pan that was about 3/4 full, didn't use Fermcap-S, and boiled over even though I turned off the burner and stirred like crazy. Now I use a much larger sauce pan, with a drop of Fermcap-S, and haven't come close to a boilover.

Back