First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmhildreth

Reaction score
Did my first batch of all grain BIAB (1 gallon) lastnight. Everything went well till mash in. Did the 160 degree and then add my bag. Dropped the temp to 150 which was what is was suppose to do. Steeped for 60 minutes TRYING to maintain 150. Noticed even with my stirring, that the wort outside would get down to 148, while inside the bag would be in the mid 150s range. Fast forward to after the boil and chilling. Missed my pitch temp of 80 and pitched at 73 degrees. Hydrometer reading and adjusting put my OG at 1.063. Primary is fermenting though and airlock is active this morning, so we'll see how things go in a couple of days. Did the 1 gallon Tiny Dancer Amber Ale from Austin Home Brew.

Your mash temps may be okay. From what I have read, the temperature in the thin part of the mash is what is most important as that is where the enzymes are at work. That is why you can do decoction. I assume the inside of the bag is where the thick part of the mash was. Even if you were in the mid 150s, you will still have conversion. Your beer may have more body and malt character. Chilling to 73 was actually good. Jamil suggests pitching slightly under fermentation temps and letting the temp rise to fermentation temps. You will have fewer off flavors.

Congrats on first batch.

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the response. Hate to see my first batch regaled to BBQ baste.

Back