My first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
I'm most likely picking up my grains and hops for my fist AG tomorrow. I don't know what I, doing so my recipe is going to be
10# briess pale
1# toasted oats
1.5 fuggle 60min
.75 fuggle 15 min
.75 fuggle 5min
Reused wlp04

When you mash in, be patient. Stir for 5 minutes and see where the temperature rests. I stirred for 30 seconds and thought I overshot my mash temp... so I added some cold water and completely undershot my mash temp. By the time I had it back up in a mashable temperature range, my mash was extremely thin and I only need something like a gallon or 2 of sparge water to hit volume.

So be patient, plan it out and take your time. Don't be too hasty.

I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I guess it's gonna be something like a bitter. I wanted try something simple. What temp should I mash at and what do you guys think about my hop additions?

I'm using a 10 gallon igloo cooler and I guess it's gonna be something like a bitter. I wanted try something simple. What temp should I mash at and what do you guys think about my hop additions?

If you want a dryer beer mash around 150F. If you want a maltier beer mash around 154-156F. Most beers are mashed around 152F.

The hop schedule looks like this will be pretty bitter. Have you run this through a recipe calculator like the one here: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Back