Out valve spraying.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPritchard

Reaction score
Soo, just a few days ago I finished fermenting a hoppy red ale. Tonight I came home and really wanted to try it. As of now I only have 1 beer out line, but 2 kegs. I pulled the out line from my coffee porter and attached to the red ale keg. I cleared the line and poured a glass of the red ale to see how the dry kegging was going. It Yates great, but when I removed the disconnect beer started spraying everywhere. This is a keg where I have already replaced the poppet. I disconnected the gas, released the pressure, and removed the line out, and put the poppet back in place and it is still spraying. Any advice?

You could have a poppit spring that's either too short or too weak to press the poppit closed, or you have hops residue preventing the poppit from closing.
Have you made sure that the post is clean? Hoppy beers are notorious for getting bits of stuff stuck where they shouldn't.

Depressurize the keg, pull the Out post, pull the poppet and clean everything out. If you used a "universal poppet" be careful not to lose the tiny O-ring if it has slipped off the poppet shank.

Speaking of which, I have one of the inferior design universal poppets in the Beer post on my DYI beer line cleaner. I've had the O-ring slip off the poppet twice now, and the only way to fix it is to take the post apart and put it back together again...

Cheers!

Assuming your dry hopping in keg, yes? If you didn't bag the hops, you probably have some sticking in the poppet. I ALWAYS put my dry hopping additions (for kegs) into a nylon mesh 'hop bag'. Zero issues that way.

Take the post off, take the poppet out, clear it completely, sanitize and reinstall. If you did put the hops in loose, then get a screen to put over the end of the liquid dip tube. That should block the hop matter from going up it and F'ing up your post/poppet.

All good advice. Dry hopped in a muslin bag. The new poppet in this keg is made for the keg model. I've got another out hose set up so once I kick the keg (which will be soon because it's goddamn delicious) ill take the whole thing apart and give it a good cleaning.

All good advice. Dry hopped in a muslin bag. The new poppet in this keg is made for the keg model. I've got another out hose set up so once I kick the keg (which will be soon because it's goddamn delicious) ill take the whole thing apart and give it a good cleaning.

IME, the nylon bags are better. Tighter mesh/weave so far less (if any) hop matter can escape.

I had one keg that one of the legs on the base of the poppit was bent causing the the top of the poppit to get stuck under the opening of the post. I could just push it down with my thumbnail and get it to close. I straightened the base of the leg so that the poppit stands up straight and that resolved the problem.

Back