Cleaning elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schalk79

Reaction score
One of our brewing vessels ended up with a hard black residue burnt onto the element.

Can anyone give some tips on getting this residue off? Normal scrubbing with a Scotch Brite scouring pad is not very effective...
What cleaners / chemicals will work?

Thanks
Schalk

One of our brewing vessels ended up with a hard black residue burnt onto the element.

Can anyone give some tips on getting this residue off? Normal scrubbing with a Scotch Brite scouring pad is not very effective...
What cleaners / chemicals will work?

Thanks
Schalk

Still building my system so I don't know, but I read a recent thread that someone said to use Bar Keepers Friend, do a search. Best of luck.

Some oven cleaner might do the trick on stubborn spots if Oxiclean or PBW doesn't work.

The burnt on crud is a b**ch! I'd try some PBW, better yet make your own an go heavy on the TSP. Warm the solution to +125F and let it sit for a few hours then scrub.

I had same problem.
Fill you kettle with water just enough to cover heater and add few tsp"s of citric acid, let it boil 15min and simply clear element with sponge or brush.

diS said:
I had same problem.
Fill you kettle with water just enough to cover heater and add few tsp"s of citric acid, let it boil 15min and simply clear element with sponge or brush.

This sounds like a pretty easy solution... Will try this first

Back