Anybody ever been to Cabo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
I'll be honeymooning in Cabo San Lucas in August :ban: and am trying to do my research and figure out what we are going to do down there (besides the obvious).

We're going to be staying at the Pueblo Bonito Resort at Sunset Beach.

I know we want to take a sunset sail and spend at least a half day fishing.

Any recommendations for either of those things? What about restaurants (already found one I want to try, Los Cabos Winery and Restaurant)? Anything else we should check out while down there?:tank:

I'm assuming you'd hit the Cabo Wabo club and see if Sammy and the crew are jamming?

Besides the regular warm weather tourist stuff, that's the only thing in particular about Cabo that I'd care to check out. (Hmm... Would make a nice 25 year anniversary present for my wife if Mexico hasn't drug warred itself to death by then!)

I used to go a few times a year (haven't been in about 5 yrs though). I went down there with my dad and brother because my uncle was running a fishing charter in La Paz at the time. I can't really help you out with restaurants/ entertainment in Cabo because I never really paid much attention to it because we only went down there to fish. As far as the fishing goes, La Paz, in my opinion is much better and its only about an hour and a half away. I'd recommend a charter but all of the charters we used to go out on, including my uncles, have packed up and left because of drug violence. I could give you a break down on the good places to find a lady of the night but that might be frowned upon while on your honeymoon. ;)

First Of All, Congrats on your marriage! Pueblo Bonito is a beautiful hotel and you'll either have to take cabs/rent a car or rely on the hotel shuttles to get around...

I can give you all the info you'll need about Cabo San Lucas and San Jose De Los Cabos, free I travel to Los Cabos 10 times a year to fish and relax. There's a cool brew pub called Cabo Brewing Company in Downtown San Jose De Los Cabos and they also recently opened another location in Cabo San Lucas. Awesome food and good beers. Ask the GM for a brew tour and he'll tell you the whole story.

I have recently partnered with my longtime fishing Captain to start a sport fishing business, Pino's Pangas. I've spent the past 6 months remodeling a new 26' Center Console Super Panga to be a fishing machine! have pics and rates if you want em.

O.Nolasco

There is a place on the beach that serves marlin tacos. Find it, eat them. The town is pretty much a shvthole but with the beach and the pool at your hotel it's not really an issue. The weather is great and there are some awesome restaurants. Don't be afraid of the street-side taco stands, they offer some of the best tacos in the world.

MMTG, I'd love more info about what you have available down there. If I'm going all the way to Cabo, you bet I'm going to fish. I'd love to land a marlin, or any kind of bill fish.

How far is San Jose De Los Cabos from Cabo San Lucas? Would it be worth it to rent a car, or should I be fine with taxis?

MMTG, I'd love more info about what you have available down there. If I'm going all the way to Cabo, you bet I'm going to fish. I'd love to land a marlin, or any kind of bill fish.

How far is San Jose De Los Cabos from Cabo San Lucas? Would it be worth it to rent a car, or should I be fine with taxis?

San Jose is 30 miles from San Lucas. It's about a $30-40 taxi ride. Pueblo Bonito will only allow regulated taxis to pick up their guests, so you'll be able to find out exactly the cost by asking a bell hop.

Marlin are awesome! I just got back from fishing and caught a nice striped marlin on 40# gear, here's a few pictures...

008.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

Here's a picture of my buddy Zach(he's 6'5) holding up a nice Bull Dorado...Here's a sneak peak at my new boat "Raha" 26' custom built super panga

She's got room for 20 rods/reels, aluminum T Top 50 gallon fuel tank, 130 HP Honda Outboard, 6 Tuna tubes, live bait tank, Huge fish hold,out riggers, downriggers, comfortable seats, USCG approved safety equipment, VHF radio, Sirius Satelite radio, 120 L coleman ice chest for drinks/food...

The best part is she's fully rigged with top of the line Shimano and Daiwa reels and Graphite rods. You don't have to bring anything, as I have outfitted the boat with all the tackle you need!

We have rod belts and fighting harnesses for you and your wife if she'd like to come as well. You can fish light tackle(20#) to heavy marlin/tuna stand up gear(100#)

004.jpg

034.JPG

041.JPG

045.JPG

064.JPG

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant (as I was there for my bachelor party I'm just glad I remember anything), but there was a place in town that did an amazing red snapper. They served the entire fish on essentially a cookie sheet. Some of the best fish I've ever had.

We went two Novembers ago for a business trip with my buddy who owns a couple companies. We stayed in the presidential suit at Me Cabo (nicest hotel in Cabo) IMO. For dinner we went to LORENZILLOS. You have to go there!! The lobster is to die for and the service is exquisite.

I know we want to take a sunset sail and spend at least a half day fishing.

You won't be there during whale season, and half a day fishing will really only get you to some shoreline reef fishing like grouper and snapper from a Panga.

Go out fishing the deep cold water on a whole day trip. That's where the tuna/marlin/sail/wahoo/mahi mahi/etc are. Cabo is close to deep and colder water (although I dunno about August)

We were there in Feb about 5 years back and landed 8 large Mahi between 30 and 55 pounds and hooked up with 5 Marlin and 2 sails, landing 2 of the Marlin in the 150 pound range. Also saw a crap-load of whales breaching on their migration out of the Gulf of California to open waters. Fishing trip of a lifetime, IMO.

Snorkeling can be OK in spots, but the better snorkeling/diving is in the calmer waters on the gulf side of the peninsula from what I have heard. There are a few pretty good golf courses but they are as expensive as hell and not worth it, IMO.

You won't be there during whale season, and half a day fishing will really only get you to some shoreline reef fishing like grouper and snapper from a Panga.

Go out fishing the deep cold water on a whole day trip. That's where the tuna/marlin/sail/wahoo/mahi mahi/etc are. Cabo is close to deep and colder water (although I dunno about August)

We were there in Feb about 5 years back and landed 8 large Mahi between 30 and 55 pounds and hooked up with 5 Marlin and 2 sails, landing 2 of the Marlin in the 150 pound range. Also saw a crap-load of whales breaching on their migration out of the Gulf of California to open waters. Fishing trip of a lifetime, IMO.

Snorkeling can be OK in spots, but the better snorkeling/diving is in the calmer waters on the gulf side of the peninsula from what I have heard. There are a few pretty good golf courses but they are as expensive as hell and not worth it, IMO.

I'm very sorry, but you couldn't be farther from the truth. A half day of fishing my boat is for 6+ hours...My Captain only leaves when you're ready to call it a day! Not a minute sooner.

The truth is, you don't need a huge boat to get to many of these banks(Gordo,San Luis,Iman,etc) are only a few miles offshore-You will spend 99% of your day fishing within plain sight of the land.

Besides in August, there will be alot of WARM water(that's what you're after, not cold) The reason I fish out of San Jose and NOT Cabo San Lucas or The East Cape is that San Jose is smack in the middle of the best fishing grounds in the world. You'll see all the fisherman from Cabo San Lucas and The East Cape fishing besides you at times.

I fish 3-5 days a month, 10 out of 12 months a year down in Los Cabos.

I'm very sorry, but you couldn't be farther from the truth. A half day of fishing my boat is for 6+ hours...My Captain only leaves when you're ready to call it a day! Not a minute sooner.

That's not been my experience in general, but if your captain will honor half day prices despite gas spent and hours worked, to put in more than that, then good on him!

The truth is, you don't need a huge boat to get to many of these banks(Gordo,San Luis,Iman,etc) are only a few miles offshore-You will spend 99% of your day fishing within plain sight of the land.

Besides in August, there will be alot of WARM water(that's what you're after, not cold) The reason I fish out of San Jose and NOT Cabo San Lucas or The East Cape is that San Jose is smack in the middle of the best fishing grounds in the world. You'll see all the fisherman from Cabo San Lucas and The East Cape fishing besides you at times.

I fish 3-5 days a month, 10 out of 12 months a year down in Los Cabos.

My bad, it's been a while and I fished out of Cabo San Lucas and we ran quite a ways SE (probably out near the San Jose based boats). I know we were looking for temperature gradients, but must have confused looking for cold with looking for warm.

Also, the marlin and sail hookups were very early in the morning and not that far from the marina (still a bit of a run but it was still not that long after dawn, so it was probably just a few miles).

I went to Cabo a couple years ago w/ my girlfriend(now wife) and we stayed at the Pueblo Bonita Pacifica Resort, it was one of the best vacations we've had.

Food wise, i think the best meal we had was at a place called "Mi Casa". CaboWabo was kind of "meh".

View from the room:
md_DSC00454.JPG

El Arco:
md_DSC00544.JPG

San Jose is 30 miles from San Lucas. It's about a $30-40 taxi ride. Pueblo Bonito will only allow regulated taxis to pick up their guests, so you'll be able to find out exactly the cost by asking a bell hop.

Marlin are awesome! I just got back from fishing and caught a nice striped marlin on 40# gear, here's a few pictures...

Are you releasing those marlin?

Back