Anyone with a good newcastle recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OSUmoney83 said:
About to start up a new batch and I wanted to make a newcastle clone. If anyone has a good recipe for it let me know. Any help is appreciated. :cool:

Here's a start....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
:) :cool:

(I know its not a recipe but you may just consider going with a kit form a HBS....they usually get pretty close!)

(I know its not a recipe but you may just consider going with a kit form a HBS....they usually get pretty close!)[/QUOTE]

Awesome, that'll work perfect because I was basically looking for the ingredient list so I can tinker around with the proportions. I'll be starting this in a couple of days. Thanks

FYI, I'm now drinking them there Newcastle clones and it has settled out a bit from previous statements I had on this topic. It still is too sweet to be a clone as well but its got a nice taste. I attribute it to the kit process of dry malt, hop pellets I guess. I'd bet just about every hb shop has their equivalent of a newcastle clone or at least what they claim to be. I'm too much of a newb to know how to tune it to get closer. But if I wanted it that close I guess I'd just go by me some...

If you want I could post what was in the recipe/steps. I think all needed info was in the instructs (not in front of me to verify right now...)

desertBrew said:
FYI, I'm now drinking them there Newcastle clones and it has settled out a bit from previous statements I had on this topic. It still is too sweet to be a clone as well but its got a nice taste. I attribute it to the kit process of dry malt, hop pellets I guess. I'd bet just about every hb shop has their equivalent of a newcastle clone or at least what they claim to be. I'm too much of a newb to know how to tune it to get closer. But if I wanted it that close I guess I'd just go by me some...

If you want I could post what was in the recipe/steps. I think all needed info was in the instructs (not in front of me to verify right now...)

Yea that would be great if you could. I enjoy Newcastle, but IMO there are some things wrong with it. First, I think it is a little on the thin/watery side. Second, I would enjoy a little more hop presence. And lastly, about 50% of the time I drink it tastes light-struck. I'm thinking I should be able to address all of those in one batch. Maybe some extra hops will balance out that sweetness you talked about. Newcastle is pretty sweet to begin with, so I can see were any sweeter might be a problem. I'll let you know how it goes

I agree it sounds like you could use more bittering hops.

For the thinness I recommend 4 oz of Malto Dextrine in the boil. The MD is not totally fermentable and gives a more "mouth-feel" texture to thin brews. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I agree it sounds like you could use more bittering hops.

For the thinness I recommend 4 oz of Malto Dextrine in the boil. The MD is not totally fermentable and gives a more "mouth-feel" texture to thin brews. :D

Cool, I'll give it a try. If I remember correctly from a different thread, you lived in Germany for a while. I was over there in the summer staying on a military base in stuttgart. Anyways, there was this pilsner, white and green lable and had a maid with rosy cheeks holding a beer. Maybe it was called Rothhaus Pils? not exactly sure, but if you know where I could get some of these, that would be great.

OSUmoney83 said:
Yea that would be great if you could. I enjoy Newcastle, but IMO there are some things wrong with it. First, I think it is a little on the thin/watery side. Second, I would enjoy a little more hop presence. And lastly, about 50% of the time I drink it tastes light-struck. I'm thinking I should be able to address all of those in one batch. Maybe some extra hops will balance out that sweetness you talked about. Newcastle is pretty sweet to begin with, so I can see were any sweeter might be a problem. I'll let you know how it goes

Click here for PDF link
Newcastle Clone (San Pedro Nut Brown Recipe)

By the way, this recipe seems thicker and a wee bit hoppier but I think it's the .5lb chocolate grain that is more prevelant giving the sweeter impression?? Again though, still good!

desertBrew said:
Click here for PDF link
Newcastle Clone (San Pedro Nut Brown Recipe)

By the way, this recipe seems thicker and a wee bit hoppier but I think it's the .5lb chocolate grain that is more prevelant giving the sweeter impression?? Again though, still good!

OK, just started this the other day and its bubbling llike crazy. I used 4 lbs of amber DME and 2 of light DME instead of all amber. Few changes here and there, but for the most part the same. I'm thinking I want to dry hop this in the secondary

OSUmoney83 said:
OK, just started this the other day and its bubbling llike crazy. I used 4 lbs of amber DME and 2 of light DME instead of all amber. Few changes here and there, but for the most part the same. I'm thinking I want to dry hop this in the secondary

I've not done the dry-hop yet but am starting an IPA this weekend that calls for it. What's dry-hopping provide different from hops during the boil anyways?

desertBrew said:
I've not done the dry-hop yet but am starting an IPA this weekend that calls for it. What's dry-hopping provide different from hops during the boil anyways?

Dry hpping is for aroma, this will be the first time I've tried it but I suspect it adds a little something else to the brew. Smell and taste go hand in hand, but it won't make any change in IBU's I suspect.

desertBrew said:
Hops used in the boil provide the bitter taste in the beer. Dry hopping provides a fresh hoppy aroma to the beer.
Cheers,
Buster.

Back