Off-flavor from commercial keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
I fired up my kegerator just in time for a bachelor party. While I had enough homebrew on hand, my brother (the bachelor) greatly prefers coors light. I picked up a keg of coors light and a keg of Redhook ESB, just because. My kegerator was just finished, three taps, all using the same vinyl beverage line.

The coors light has a weird plastic taste and smell. I really didn't notice since I assumed that's what coors light was supposed to taste like, but I got some complaints from the hardcore BMC drinkers.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I don't use bleach and have never really tasted the "band-aid" flavor, the closest to off-flavors I could think of. I will be switching the taps around to see if the plastic taste migrates to the Redhook keg. Can't really think of what else it might be.

Vermicous said:
The coors light has a weird plastic taste and smell. I really didn't notice since I assumed that's what coors light was supposed to taste like,

Hehehehe. Now THAT'S funny! :D

It's definitely my lines. I swapped couplers and the plastic taste disappeared. Going to trash the vinal and soak the metal in PBW, hopefully that will work.

Latest posts

Back