How long is too long to re-pitch on cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najohns

Reaction score
I have a cider that was pitched 3 days ago. I have no fermentation and the gravity hasn't changed. How long is too long to wait to re-pitch? There is a huge snow storm coming and I could be snowed in with no access to more yeast for a few days.

Did you make sure the cider didn't contain preservatives?

Personally, I wouldn't wait to get yeast after the storm. If you wait till after the storm, your cider will be sitting at room temperature for about a week before fermentation starts.

Dry yeast is cheap and has a long shelf life. Wine yeast is about a buck. Beer yeast is a little more. I find it cheaper to keep a few packs in the fridge in order to save that extra trip to the LHBS.

I have a package of Dry Munton's Gold in the fridge. I originally pitched WLP380. Would pitching that hurt and when should I give in a pitch it? I started at OG 1.060 on saturday and went for a colder fermentation at 62F. The cider I started with had no preservatives and I didn't use yeast nutrient. I check the gravity this morning and it was the same. I took the fermenter out of its water bath to warm up to room temp this morning. If I see no fermentation tonight, should I wait much longer?

Warming it up to get the fermentation started may solve your problem. Oxygenating the cider may help as well.

I think deciding when to repitch is a judgement call. Ask three homebrewers and you'll probably get three different answers. Just my two cents, but I'd hope to see some activity within a day after it warms up. I don't know what you are fermenting in. Obviously, a carboy has more mass and won't warm up as quickly as a gallon jug. So, I'd give a larger fermenter a little more time.

If your concerned, pitch the Muntons. It may start up with the current yeast, but by pitching the new, you quit worrying about it. And keep the temp closer to mid to high 60s; at least util fermentation starts.

Back