Flat beer caused by cold storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tppk

Reaction score
I bottled a Fat Tire clone a couple weeks ago, opened the first one a couple days ago and there was almost no carbonation. I tried another one last night, hoping it was just a bad seal on the first one, but it was flat too.

After thinking about it a bit, I think I know why they're flat. Right after bottling I brought the beer down to the basement, where its 50-55 degrees. I used Safale US-05 yeast, which wants to ferment from 59-75. Bonehead move, I know. But now I have two questions.

1. Is that temperature difference enough to result in flat beer, or do you think I have another problem?

2. Can I fix it just by storing the beer at room temp for a week or two?

Just to get a few things out of the way, the OG and FG were as expected, I had pretty active fermentation, and I'm sure I added the right amount of priming sugar.

Thanks!

Yes, you're storing your bottles in a place that is too cold. Get them somewhere that is around 70 degrees for a few weeks and they should start carbing up.

Too hot will kill yeast. Too cold (so long as you don't freeze) just puts yeast to sleep. Warm them up and they perk right up again.

Twist/agitate/invert each bottle just a bit to get yeast roused out of suspension. Then put your bottles in a warm climate (70ish plus) for about a week.

Then back in a moderate temp for a week or two, then chill for a week.

Bet it will be killer.

Back