Is it still safe to use my aluminum brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
OK, about 2 weeks ago I used a mixture of bleach and water (about a tablespoon of bleach in 5 gallons of water) to try to get some hardened stains out of my aluminum brew pot (I now know not to use bleach on metal). I left it in overnight and in the morning noticed some corrosion on the pot, so I scrubbed it off with bronze wool and soap, then cleaned the rest of the pot with the bronze wool.

Is this pot still safe to use, a buddy of mine told me not to use bronze wool on aluminum because it can scratch the pot and transfer aluminum to the beer, and I also used bleach which corroded it. Any thoughts?

We don't want to start anything here so..Talk quietly..

It is OK to use it. You might be more comfortable if you boiled a pot of water and dumped it, but I wouldn't have any problem using it as is. Many batches in aluminum I have made!.

I haven't done that to my aluminum pot, but I've been brewing with an aluminum pot for almost 8 years, with that pot seeing plenty of grain. I agree with Sean; do a boil (fill that pot up pretty full) for about 10-15 minutes, then dump. Inspect and go from there, but I bet it will be safe to use.

Marine Corps (and other services) have been using 10 gallon and 15 gallon aluminum pots (10 pots, 15 pots) since Vietnam era. I don't ever recall anyone having any .... twitch....twitch...twitch... symptoms from eating food prepared in the ... twitch...twitch... aluminum pots. We made everything from starches to tomato based dishes. No worries about using aluminum. That's a bigger fallacy than Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth". Just my $.02 (adjusted for inflation). Semper Fi Jarheads! :mug:

Back