Thinking about selling my home brew stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Due to my recent unplanned retirement I am at a place in my life where I need to make a decision. I don't have the room to brew or a place to store my equipment right now. I know I won't make much if I do sell but I won't have to pay for a place to store it. I haven't brewed since last July and I won't be brewing any time soon.

If I do sell, I will offer my stuff here on HBT for someone local.

I thought I would present this here for thoughts and comments.

So... Thoughts? Comments?

I'm saddened to hear that your life changes include not brewing. I know that sometimes people lose interest in hobbies, but I assume you still enjoy it.

Is there any chance you can still save some of the stuff, like at your parent's house, so you don't have to make all the decisions at once?

And what about taking some classes at a local community college? Any more thought to that at all?

I know that unplanned retirement is tough. But you're tough, too, and you can use this as an opportunity to do some of the things you didn't have the chance to before.

I agree with everyone else. You apparently still enjoy it but are in a tough position from what it sounds like. What about renting a small storage unit to hold your stuff? I am in Denver if you ever want someone to brew with. It would be cool to have another obsessive brewer to hang and brew with. You can never have too many obsessive beer hobbyists to hang with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:mug:

Gotta do what ya gotta do, If possible though I'd keep a carboy and a set of bottles, go back to extract as that is so much less equipment heavy. I'd suggest some sort of one vessel approach but that would cost money to build so would be out.

if you got a big setup maybe try trade to someone with a smaller setup that you can set in a closet out of the way? you may be able to make a few bucks too...just in case you feel like brewing a bit in the future

Sorry to hear it, Rich. You were the first HBT guy I met in person. If I can offer something to help, like storage space or a driveway to brew in, please let me know. I don't want to sound like a vulture, but if there's something you want gone I can use, I'd be happy to buy it from you and re-sell it back later if and when your situation changes.

Sorry to hear it.

I'd see if there was any way to store it though. I didn't brew from 2002 to 2009 because I wasn't living in a suitable place for it. I didn't keep everything but kept some of the more expensive stuff and am glad I did. Since restarting in 2009 I've brewed 20 batches and am on batch 110 now. You might experience something similar, and come back full force in a few years.

Best of luck to you!

Looks like there are plenty of HBTers out there willing to help with storage so there's that option. I would also suggest maybe loaning it out your gear or redefining your efforts?

You could always find a trusted friend getting into the hobby that wants to upgrade and loan them your equipment. That's what my brother did with me. I get use of his gear but anytime he wants in back, it's his.

Other idea is redefining your setup. I don't know your exact build but I'm guessing you must have enjoyed a fair amount of space. You could now focus on building a more efficient settup. Maybe a counter top Brutus 20 like Jeff Karpinski's? Sounds like a challenge I like to see!

If there's one thing I've learned from this site is HBTers are a bunch of damned resourceful people. You might be putting the hobby on hold for now but I'm sure you'll be finding a way to balance it with your new life.

Good luck!

Looks like there are plenty of HBTers out there willing to help with storage so there's that option. I would also suggest maybe loaning it out your gear or redefining your efforts?

You could always find a trusted friend getting into the hobby that wants to upgrade and loan them your equipment. That's what my brother did with me. I get use of his gear but anytime he wants in back, it's his.

Other idea is redefining your setup. I don't know your exact build but I'm guessing you must have enjoyed a fair amount of space. You could now focus on building a more efficient settup. Maybe a counter top Brutus 20 like Jeff Karpinski's? Sounds like a challenge I like to see!

If there's one thing I've learned from this site is HBTers are a bunch of damned resourceful people. You might be putting the hobby on hold for now but I'm sure you'll be finding a way to balance it with your new life.

Good luck!

Hijack!!:p

Whereabouts in Denver are ya? I am in Whittier/Five Points

It depends if "any time soon" is measured in years or closer to "never again." Stripping the system down to the more expensive items makes sense. Maybe scale back and make mead by the gallon?

If I lived nearby, I'd offer to hold your equipment for you and brew with you whenever you wanted. But since I live in Michigan, I doubt that would work out well.

Work downtown, live in Thornton. If I can offer you some space to keep your things until you have more definitive answers, let me know. Sorry to hear about forced retirement, but it doesn't have to mean stopping your addic... er hobby.

Sorry to hear about you're unplanned retirement. Here's hoping everything goes well for you.

I agree with others that say you may want either store equipment with a friend or get rid of all but the bare essentials so you have the ability make an extract batch once in a while if you want to. The bare essentials shouldn't take up much space. Once everything settles down and you get into a new routine, you may get the itch to brew again.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! Thanks for all of your contributions to HBT over the years. Hope to see you popping back in once in a while even if you're not brewing.

Latest posts

Back