Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims_l22

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Awhile back i posted a thread about a batch of beer i made California Imperial Style Ale and that it was good beer but was not carbonated. Well I found out why. When I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket i put in my priming sugar and i use the force of the siphoning to mix my beer instead of stiring well i did not get lucky this time and the priming sugar layered in the bottom of the bucket and one case of beer was carbonated and the other case was not. So I will stir the priming sugar from now on.

I never stir mine and mine are always evenly carbonated. Just use the swirling from the siphon to mix it. I think many if not most folks here do it that way.

Also, do you just add dry corn sugar? Personally I mix the sugar with a small amount of water, maybe a cup or so and boil it for like 5 minutes to kind of turn it into a simple syrup, that guarantees that it mixes well when you rack to your bottling bucket.

Yeah, I don't think that's the explanation. I have yet to stir priming sugar in my bottling bucket, and after most of a decade of brewing, it has yet to be an issue.

Didn't think of that, but you might be on to something. If it were dry, that'd be a totally different animal than if you properly dissolved the sugar in boiling water first.

I properly mixed the priming sugar in boiling water and poured it into the bottling bucket as always and i use the force of the siphoning beer to stir the sugar and only one case of the beer is carbonated and the second case was not it taste good but it is not carbonated. i have done this before with no problem.
sims_l22

Strange. This is a common procedure that usually isn't a problem. I still have to think it was something else. The two cases didn't happen to be stacked when you stored them after bottling, were they?

Hmmm... I'd have guessed that they were stacked on concrete and the uncarbed one would be on the bottom. Cold floor slowing down the carb. Radiant heat in your house? Second floor so the floor was warmer than the air?

I haven't been doing this long, but sounds maybe like loose bottle caps. Any possibility that the weight of the top case put enough weight on the bottle caps of the bottom case to let some carbonation build up even though the caps were loose?

i thought that too and so i shaken a couple to see if they would leak and they did not. I do use an antique capper but it has worked in the pass maybe its time for a new one.
sims_l22

Back