Whats the difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
What is the difference between partial mash and mini mash? is it one in the same? I use extract but also steep grains as well. Thanks for helping this budding newcomer!

TxT

Yup - exactly the same. It's really not that difficult to carry out either - just makes your brew session a bit longer. I've started replacing some of my extract with 3-3.5 lbs of grains and I've been really happy with the results. Including the price drop by eliminating some extract.

Here's a good post to get you familiar with the technique (though I don't use this technique personally - I use a separate pot for the mash and keep the temp steady by placing the mash in a preheated oven. I then strain the grains using a small mesh colander) - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I use a separate pot for the mash and keep the temp steady by placing the mash in a preheated oven. I then strain the grains using a small mesh colander) -

That's exactly what I've been doing and it works well. I upgraded to a 5-gallon igloo cooler so I can do more grain and less extract. Basically using as much grain as I have capacity to boil the runoff from. My next batch I just picked up ingredients for, I'm down to only 4 lbs of extract rather than the 7 I've used in the last few. I think I can get that even lower, just need to experiment and see how my boil going on this one.

It's a great technique to advance your brewing when you're still not quite ready to move on to PM. You get to go through a lot of the motions of all-grain brewing on a smaller scale so you learn a lot about the process before you make the leap to AG.

Thanks for the responses. I have already been doing partial (mini) mashes but I wasnt sure is partial meant samething because the place I buy from calls it mini mash. My first batch was a mini - thats how I started. My current batch in brew process is an Imperial Stout that I modified just a tad. I added half pound of rye malt and one pound of honey on top of the 11 pounds of extract and 5 pounds grain. Final estimated alcohol content should be around 11.2%. Dont know if or when I will move on to AG. I like the process I have now but Im sure eventually I will grow bored with it and want to brave new techniques.

TxT

Brewing: Imperial Stout ("Sit-Ur-Arse-Down Stout")
Bottled: Shiner Bock clone
Enjoying: New Castle clone

I've been wondering, how should I calculate the amount of grain to use based on an all-extract recipe? For instance, if the recipe calls for 8 lbs extract, how many pounds of grain would I use instead?

Functionally no difference, but I think of a mini-mash as using just enough base malt to convert the specialty grains.

Back