Old Ale Partial Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oberonsd73

Reaction score
My next brew I want to attempt an old/ strong ale.
I'd like it to be nice and big, witha lot of flavor.

So, let me know your thoughts, changes, etc...

5 gallon batch. Partial Mash. 3 gal boil.

7# Ex light dry extract
2.25# Pale 2 row
1.25# Crystal 40
.5# Chocolate Malt
2.5oz Target (11%) 60mins
1.5oz Target (11%) 20mins
British Ale (Wyeast #1098)

OG ~1.081
FG ~1.020
Color 21.9
IBU 60.6 (.752 IBU/SG)

thanks

traditionally old ales will have some treacle (which I've recently learned is almost the same thing as blackstrap molasses) and some darker crystal malts, like 80L and/or 120L. you might try incorporating those.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to go back and see what I can do with swithcing up my crystal to something higher.

Doing that, would you still add the chocolate? Or keep it simple w/ just 2-row and crystal? (and maybe some molasses in small amounts)

Old ale should be rich and full-bodied, but roasted malt should be applied judiciously so as to not be dominant. Malty-sweet is really the name of the game here; Maris Otter as your base malt, high L crystal to get the dark fruit and a liberal application of treacle/blackstrap molasses.

Looking over your recipe, I'd trim the crystal to a single pound split evenly between 80L and 120L and limit the chocolate to between four and six ounces. I think a late addition of hops would probably be wasted against the richness of the malt. Keep it balanced.

Jason

Thanks again...

...and YIKES I need to get into all-grain.
I plugged the grain bill into a to be unnamed Internet homebrew site.
The total cost is $78...

(I'm used to around 1/2 that price!)
AG would be so much cheaper...

Can you use more grain in your partial mash? The 2-row should definitely be Marris Otter or Golden Promise. If you use more of it, you can use less extract and you'll get a better flavor. What company provides the light LME, anyway? You should get muntons if you can, or something else made from marris otter.

or you could throw a pound of munich in there :D

Back