Central Florida Hop Growing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnyg

Reaction score
Central FLORIDA Hop Growing???

Last summer I grew a hop plant my backyard in the ground. (Chinook)

ThymeGarden.com had instructed that 1 6' pole would be sufficient first year.

The plant grew like a weed to about 15'--had I known, I'd've provided a better trellis. Anyway, I harvested about a pound (wet) cones from it in August; there were still many more cones but not yet ripe--a tropical storm came along and the wind pretty well screwed up any hopes of more harvesting.

Question?

Anyone else out there growing hops this area?
What is your experience?

Contrary to gloomy outlooks in general (from the "experts") for those considering growing hops here, my own limited experience suggests that hop growing will not be all that bad. So much for "expert" opinions.

Thanx for yer attention!

Dick G
aka: Gunny G
~~~~~

I know there must be others growing hops in Florida, even central Fla.
Would like to hear your experiences in doing so.
Thanx
Dick G
~~~~

I have grown some hops in N. Florida (by Gainesville, you know TITLE TOWN) and did it for several years. I grew only Nugget and Cascade. I had some success but none like that of growers more North. I found the Cascade did very well as far as pests are concerned. One year I had about 20 plants and I did propogate some from the hop bines. I remember yielding a couple of pounds dried, on my best year.

I stopped growing them because after two or three years the yields just plummeted (probably due to our lack of cold days). I also had some problems with neighbors trees and aphids. I will probably grow them again when I move to a more spread out yard, further from neighbors. If you need any help with desease/pest problems I would be glad to help.

Doug

Can't say I have grown any yet but I'm thinking about it. I'm not all that concerned about a great yield - just seems like having a hop bine in the backyard is cool for a brewer :) A good yield wouldn't hurt my feelings any though...

I would say go for it, I got my Rhizomes from Fresh Hops and it was worth it to get the Jumbo size. I will say the coolest thing about it was how the yard was transformed at the end of Summer with a 12ft high wall of green hop goodness (my wife also thought it was cool). You need to decide pretty soon though, because you can probably plant in central fla in the next couple of weeks. Contact your UF extension office for suggestions of the last frost date (in Marion County it is March 15th). I would look to plant very soon after that.

Doug

I would say go for it, I got my Rhizomes from Fresh Hops and it was worth it to get the Jumbo size. I will say the coolest thing about it was how the yard was transformed at the end of Summer with a 12ft high wall of green hop goodness (my wife also thought it was cool). You need to decide pretty soon though, because you can probably plant in central fla in the next couple of weeks. Contact your UF extension office for suggestions of the last frost date (in Marion County it is March 15th). I would look to plant very soon after that.

Doug
Thanx, Doug & Craig:
I have two plants now in the ground from last year, and several more rhizomes due in next month from thymegarden.com

Problem is, ya can only obtain rhizomes when THEY want to sell 'em to ya!

My chinook and nugget did well last year. I expect them to grow well here--based on what little I've seen, anyway.

My theory is to grow 'em short and with many shoots vice the prescribed way w/ 3 shoots that will reach 25+'--that's all well and good for the professional growers who have to grow 'em thataway for max plants in a given area and they have the necessary machinery to harvest that way.

I have found on the internet a couple testimonials somewhere from folks who do grow 'em short and claim they thicken up that way, I figure 10-12'--may not produce as much but probably ok for a smalltime homebrewer.
Best
Dick
~~~~~

I am interested to hear about the success of growing in the Deep South as well. I live just south of Baton Rouge Louisiana and ordered a few to try. Gonna try Hopgrowers Cascades and Chinooks to see what happens. I have read a few blogs about some successful growing in my area. I have been scouring the Inter-web trying to find tips for growing in this sub tropical climate. I as sure that some tweaking of the process will be needed here.

I am interested to hear about the success of growing in the Deep South as well. I live just south of Baton Rouge Louisiana and ordered a few to try. Gonna try Hopgrowers Cascades and Chinooks to see what happens. I have read a few blogs about some successful growing in my area. I have been scouring the Inter-web trying to find tips for growing in this sub tropical climate. I as sure that some tweaking of the process will be needed here.
Thank you for responding--stay in touch and let's share our information/experiences as we progress with our hop growing here beyond the borders "others" have dictated as off limits for us!

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines
:mug:

I am gonna give it a try. I keep reading about hops grow north of the 30th parallel. I am at 30.13 degrees north (I can probably see the 30th parallel out my back window LOL) so we will see as technically I am north of the 30th parallel. :D

Thanx, Doug & Craig:
I have two plants now in from last year, and several more rhizomes due in next month from thymegarden.com

Problem is, ya can only obtain rhizomes when THEY want to sell 'em to ya!

My chinook and nugget did well last year. I expect them to grow well here--based on what little I've seen, anyway.

My theory is to grow 'em short and with many shoots vice the prescribed way w/ 3 shoots that will reach 25+'--that's all well and good for the professional growers who have to grow 'em thataway for max plants in a given area and they have they necessary machinery to harvest that way.

I have found on the internet a couple testimonials from folks who do grow 'em short and claim they thicken up that way, I figure 10-12'--may not produce as much but probably ok for a smalltime homebrewer.
Best
Dick
~~~~~

Is growing in that manner better in your climate which is basically the same as mine? Could you share your information source? I am interested. I am wondering what tricks I am going to have to use to adapt the plants to thrive here in South Louisiana.

Is growing in that manner better in your climate which is basically the same as mine? Could you share your information source? I am interested. I am wondering what tricks I am going to have to use to adapt the plants to thrive here in South Louisiana.

Hey Smurfe, I would like to know how it goes for you. I live just above I-12 and I have plenty of room to grow hops if able. The few folks I have talked to have had minimal success here (Baton Rouge).
Even though I may never get great yields it would be nice to have some Home Grown Hop additions for my recipes.
Go Tigers....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My info source is basically my own experience and what I've read cruising beer/hop forums around the net.

I do have a coupla my own sites (linked to one another)....

The Gunny G Forum: Beer, Homebrew, McG's Homebrew Ale,etc.

where I sometimes rathole info I'd like to get back to--but I usually cannot find what I'm looking for...at any given time anyway.

Best
Dick G
~~~~~

I have been considering this over the last few weeks. Ive gotten alot of people telling me it cant be done. It is nice to hear that it has been done. Do you have any Rhizomes available? Tell me about your experiences growing in Florida...Thinking of trying other varieties?

No, I have no rhizomes available--I only have two plants in the ground from last year.
I left approx 2-3" of old bines on my Chinook and Nugget--they still had some tiny green leaves until a couple weeks ago when an overnight freeze got to the leaves.

Expecting about 5 different rhizomes to come in from ThymeGarden.com within the next month.

Got my rhizomes From ThymeGarden.Com....

Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertauer, Sterling, etc.
All in the ground now....
Two of them, in fact, poked up a coupla bines after only two days.

The two from last year--Chinook and Nuggett--still haven't sprouted as yet, however.

I have never ordered from other than Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. and I have no reason to order from anywhere else--the rhizomes I got are quite large and healthy, and TG handles your orders and inquiries top-notch!

I have seen many remarks regarding TG around the 'Net regarding its products and service--all good!

Will advise now and then as to progress of my hop plants.

Best
Dick Gaines
~THE “G” BLOGS - Gunny G Online~
and....

I got my rhizomes (Cascade and Chinook) from Hop Farmer here on the forums yesterday. Of course as my luck goes it is raining here and will all weekend. Got them in the fridge. Hope I can plant soon around work schedule. Have some Nugget's and "Mystery Hop" coming from a member of another forum I frequent.

Hey Smurfe, I would like to know how it goes for you. I live just above I-12 and I have plenty of room to grow hops if able. The few folks I have talked to have had minimal success here (Baton Rouge).
Even though I may never get great yields it would be nice to have some Home Grown Hop additions for my recipes.
Go Tigers....

I'll let you know how it goes. I am surely going to have a few extra rhizomes. Let me know if you want a couple to try out for yourself. I live in Gonzales. Don't know how close we are to each other.

I'll let you know how it goes. I am surely going to have a few extra rhizomes. Let me know if you want a couple to try out for yourself. I live in Gonzales. Don't know how close we are to each other.

Woops, just saw you are in Holden. I know where that is. Not too far from each other.

Got my rhizomes From ThymeGarden.Com....

Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertauer, Sterling, etc.
All in the ground now....
Two of them, in fact, poked up a coupla bines after only two days.

The two from last year--Chinook and Nuggett--still haven't sprouted as yet, however.

I have never ordered from other than Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. and I have no reason to order from anywhere else--the rhizomes I got are quite large and healthy, and TG handles your orders and inquiries top-notch!

I have seen many remarks regarding TG around the 'Net regarding its products and service--all good!

Will advise now and then as to progress of my hop plants.

Best
Dick Gaines
~THE “G” BLOGS - Gunny G Online~
and....

OK just checking to see if this post werks er not!

I live near Gainesville in Newberry. I ordered a few rhizomes (2 Cascades and 2 Kent Goldings) that I got in this week. I ordered them before I had done much reading, but I'm planting them for fun anyway.

I'm thinking about the Kent Goldings, though. Do you think there's any chance of those flowering at all down here? Was considering offering to trade them to someone more northern on the classifieds forum for some more Cascades or Cents or something, but I will probably just let them rip and see what happens.

Any experience or opinions?

I am in central Fl also. Between Orlando and Daytona. I finally got my rhizomes today and I am going to plant them tomorrow. What varieties are you growing?

I'm in Titusville, east of orlando on the coast. My i planted my Willamette and Cascade maybe a week ago, the Willamette had 2 shoots within the first night of planting, which are now about a foot and a few inches, with some more shoots on the way. The Cascade started off slowly with only one shoot, I let it go for a few days, and i think on the third day, the shoot looked wilttered and poor, so i cut off that shoot and since then, it has produced about 5 shoots, one which has taken off, and is about 6 inches already within 3 or 4 days.

I will be planting a Nugget, MT. Hood, and a Chinook later today. i'll let you know how those work out as well. and i'll take some pictures of the current ones as well.

- Josh

I live just north of Miami. I tried Cascade and Willamette last season. Willamette grew 3 feet then got torn apart by bugs, Cascade on the other hand grew furiously. I harvested 2 ounces of dried hops. I already have 4 sprouts coming up from the monster of a crown.

It is possible

Update....

Has been just a bit less than a month now since I planted the last of my new rhizomes.

The Cascade and Magnum are about 4' now.

The Hallertauer, Sterling, Centennial, Hallertauer, are a bit less.

Chinook and Nugget planted last year sprouted about 2 weeks ago are still just inches in height, surprisingly as they both reached approx 15' last year.

I am using two 7' metal stakes--the kind you see at Lowe's etc. for stringing wire fences on farms--bolted together to make an 11 footer with about 18'' overlap for bolting together and about 2' in the ground.

Used 16 gauge wire at the top--also have two more 11 footers available should/when the middle sags once the weight of the bines get up there--I figure to use the two extra stakes to prop up the middle much like those old wood stakes were used to prop-up clotheslines in the old timey days--you guys may have seen that in the movies, I remember them myself.

The two stakes presently holding up the wire is presently 30-34' apart.

I'll figure the rest out as I go along.

Simplify! I go by the old KISS method--keep it simple stupid.
;)
Just Plain Dick

Update....

Has been just a bit less than a month now since I planted the last of my new rhizomes.

The Cascade and Magnum are about 4' now.

The Hallertauer, Sterling, Centennial, Hallertauer, are a bit less.

Chinook and Nugget planted last year sprouted about 2 weeks ago are still just inches in height, surprisingly as they both reached approx 15' last year.

I am using two 7' metal stakes--the kind you see at Lowe's etc. for stringing wire fences on farms--bolted together to make an 11 footer with about 18'' overlap for bolting together and about 2' in the ground.

Used 16 gauge wire at the top--also have two more 11 footers available should/when the middle sags once the weight of the bines get up there--I figure to use the two extra stakes to prop up the middle much like those old wood stakes were used to prop-up clotheslines in the old timey days--you guys may have seen that in the movies, I remember them myself.

The two stakes presently holding up the wire is presently 30-34' apart.

I'll figure the rest out as I go along.

Simplify! I go by the old KISS method--keep it simple stupid.

Just Plain Dick

I live just north of Miami. I tried Cascade and Willamette last season. Willamette grew 3 feet then got torn apart by bugs, Cascade on the other hand grew furiously. I harvested 2 ounces of dried hops. I already have 4 sprouts coming up from the monster of a crown.

It is possible

This is good news as I live right across the state from you on the west coast. I know I am too late for this years but will probably try next year with cascade.

Storm

Any Florida hop growers harvesting anything yet? I have some small cones on my Cascade plant, but I am just kinda watching to see what they are going to do. I have two EKGs that are growing and climbing, but no buds on them. How about you?
All plants looking ok--hops present but not resdy yet--sidearms still developing...

Back