epic brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm I love epic. Their imperial pumpkin porter was one of the best beers i've had. And spiral jetty is soo good

By far the best pumpkin beer I've had. But I've never tried dog fish heads. I haven't been disappointed with a beer of there's yet. I just drank there iipa and was very impressed

I'm a fan of their 825 st stout myself. Or their smoked porter. Also their mid mountain mild ale hits the spot when the stout is a bit to heavy. Their elder brett is fantastic you should try it if you haven't. My wife goes brainless for brainless on peaches. The big bad baptist was great in the cold but i'll stick with their other dark beers. To much cocoa nibs for my taste. I really enjoy all their beers and spend my money on them over just about everything else.

I should be going there on Saturday. I'm excited to try some delicious Utah beer this weekend. We usually go for all of the awesome burger places, but my buddy is taking us to some fine watering holes as well. I'm pumped!

Their elder brett is fantastic you should try it if you haven't.

Their Elder Brett is fantastic. Unfortunately, it is sold out. They won't have another batch ready until November or December. My favorites are the Sour Apple Saison, Santa Cruz Brown Ale, Brainless IPA and the Hopulent IPA.

In my opinion squatters sours are better, but yes elder brett was great. I'm trying to get threw all the exponential series now, Just a couple I haven't had yet. Boy was I happy when I saw brainless ipa was only five bucks!

mytommygundont

Epic is opening a new brewery in Denver by summer 2013 just a heads up. So if you like what you drink here at least you won't have to drive to get it :).

Wouldn't kick any of their brews outa the kitchen. All I've bought have been decent to excellent so far. I do go to the shop rather than the state liquor stores though, I've seen a couple at the liquor stores that are pretty old.

Epic is opening a new brewery in Denver by summer 2013 just a heads up. So if you like what you drink here at least you won't have to drive to get it :).

That's awesome. If they make great beer they should be very busy here. It's funny, I keep hearing about all of these breweries opening in Denver, but when you check their websites they are never updated and say that they are opening 7 months ago. Hopefully Epic wont be one of those.

I thought I'd share my thoughts about Epic after I visited this weekend.

First: Their tasting room is by far the smallest I have ever been in.

Second: Short of the sours from Squatters, their beer is by far the best that I have had in Utah.

Third:
I can see why they are expanding into Denver. The DABC is an evil institution bent on destroying flavorful beer. I'd move a long way from them as well.

Forth: Everywhere we went, there was negative talk about them. Apparently they are not liked in the industry in Utah. There is some hypocrisy with opening under a new name(Unsacred Brews) to do 3.2% beers when they said they would never do that.

Overall I found most of their beers to be well made. I really enjoyed my visit.

Well glad you enjoyed your visit and the beer, its a good thing you came up when squatters sours are here cause there not around long. I think its stupid they have to make 4% beer. But its what you have to do if your a brewery in utah. As long as epic keeps making great beer ill happy. Did you try the big bad baptist!? Man I love that thing

Well glad you enjoyed your visit and the beer, its a good thing you came up when squatters sours are here cause there not around long. I think its stupid they have to make 4% beer. But its what you have to do if your a brewery in utah. As long as epic keeps making great beer ill happy. Did you try the big bad baptist!? Man I love that thing

I did. I found it to be the best beer I have ever had that has coffee in it. Although I find coffee to be rather overwhelming in beer and thus dislike almost all coffee beers. I really enjoyed the imperial red and stout and the copper cone pale. The Brainless series was not my favorite (I guess it's fine if you like fruit in your beer).

Their Elder Brett is fantastic. Unfortunately, it is sold out. They won't have another batch ready until November or December. My favorites are the Sour Apple Saison, Santa Cruz Brown Ale, Brainless IPA and the Hopulent IPA.
ya, elder brett is damn good but not that sour, maybe a little tart but not sour; yet!!.. got 4 in my cellar, should be great in a year!!
In my opinion squatters sours are better, but yes elder brett was great. I'm trying to get threw all the exponential series now, Just a couple I haven't had yet. Boy was I happy when I saw brainless ipa was only five bucks!
fifth element is my fav from squatters and thats why i spend around $100 a year to cellar.. squatters 529 is damn great, just opened a 2yr old bottle last week.. my cheekes hurt for 5 minutes :mug:

fifth element is my fav from squatters and thats why i spend around $100 a year to cellar.. squatters 529 is damn great, just opened a 2yr old bottle last week.. my cheekes hurt for 5 minutes :mug:

I have a bottle of 529 and Fifth Element that I brought back with me. They are now in my cellar waiting for the right time to crack em' open. They are great additions to my sour beer collection.

Hurray for Epic! I love their beers. A very good friend of mine works there and when he comes back east for the holidays he brings awesome Epic beers. We can't get Epic in PA yet because our stupid case law scares away most smaller breweries. I have to drive over to Jersey to find Epic anywhere remotely local. Well worth the trip though. I'll pass on the kind words to the guys at the brewery.

Oh boy. Pours a reddish brown with a little thin head that dissipates very quickly. No lacing.
Aroma has some brett character, a little barnyard leather smell. Kinda sweet smelling,
Tastes tart with a little acidity. A little sweetness no real bitterness, finishes dry with a slightly tart after taste
Super thin watery palate. I don't know if they rushed this out or what but its still, I can't even rouse a head on it.
Overall I'm moderately disappointed with this.

I thought I'd share my thoughts about Epic after I visited this weekend.

First: Their tasting room is by far the smallest I have ever been in.

Second: Short of the sours from Squatters, their beer is by far the best that I have had in Utah.

Third:
I can see why they are expanding into Denver. The DABC is an evil institution bent on destroying flavorful beer. I'd move a long way from them as well.

Forth: Everywhere we went, there was negative talk about them. Apparently they are not liked in the industry in Utah. There is some hypocrisy with opening under a new name(Unsacred Brews) to do 3.2% beers when they said they would never do that.

Overall I found most of their beers to be well made. I really enjoyed my visit.

The tasting room is small because of DABC. At the time, the only way they could have a tasting room was to open a "restaurant" in the brewery. I don't know if the wine flight law passed last year changed that.

Epic is expanding in Denver because Salt Lake City refused to let them expand to the east. They tried twice to work with SLC's zoning department and were told that their expansion was "inconsistent with the neighborhood" even though their revised plan had them only expanding as far back as 1st Class Cars and Family Dollar.

Oh boy. Pours a reddish brown with a little thin head that dissipates very quickly. No lacing.
Aroma has some brett character, a little barnyard leather smell. Kinda sweet smelling,
Tastes tart with a little acidity. A little sweetness no real bitterness, finishes dry with a slightly tart after taste
Super thin watery palate. I don't know if they rushed this out or what but its still, I can't even rouse a head on it.
Overall I'm moderately disappointed with this.

Sounds like it might need some cellar time then.. huh.. ill see what utah beer has to say before I go get sum :mug:

Back