Brewed a VERY expensive batch of beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfbrew70

Reaction score
I just brewed what will probably be my most expensive batch of beer.

As I'm learning, I like to take photos to document my brewing. And...

Yep! The camera took a dive! Right into the wort!

:eek:

I think I'll call this batch my Canon Cream Ale. :D

I just brewed what will probably be my most expensive batch of beer.

As I'm learning, I like to take photos to document my brewing. And...

Yep! The camera took a dive! Right into the wort!

:eek:

I think I'll call this batch my Canon Cream Ale. :D

Bummer. I believe they make wrist straps for people like you :D

Ouch! DSLR or point and shoot? My condolences either way, but I'd be way more pissed to lose my Nikon D3100 than my P300.

Fortunately, it was only a point and shoot. Still, the batch comes out to about $5 per bottle... Hope it's good!

The worst part is you couldn't even take the hilarious picture of your camera in your wort!

That's what crossed my mind as I looked down and could only see the strap rising above the surface of the wort.

This was worse than dropping something into water. VERY sticky!

I did save the memory card!

Wait... so your cream ale is running you 5 bucks a bottle? How is that even possible? Duh I'm stupid. Have fun with that Canon cream ale!

Wait... so your cream ale is running you 5 bucks a bottle? How is that even possible? Duh I'm stupid. Have fun with that Canon cream ale!

By factoring in the cost of the camera that was destroyed while making the beer. If I would have dropped my camera that I was using while making my first batch, my cost per bottle would have went from a dollar and some change to $17 a bottle.

I bet it happened in slow motion too right? Like the kid from The Christmas Story when the hubcap of lug nuts goes flying. "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE........."

I bet it happened in slow motion too right? Like the kid from The Christmas Story when the hubcap of lug nuts goes flying. "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE........."

You're right. I fished it out and pulled the memory card with lightning quick speed though!

It stayed powered up for a couple of seconds, but now it's just a sticky, gummed-up, winking, paper weight.

We have a water proof digital camera. Not that I'd want to try it, but I wonder how it would fair... the heat might do it in if the wort didn't. Glad you save the memory card, at least you have some pictures.

We have a water proof digital camera. Not that I'd want to try it, but I wonder how it would fair... the heat might do it in if the wort didn't. Glad you save the memory card, at least you have some pictures.
I have a waterproof digi camera. I know it will survive a dunking in beer, friends have proven that. BTW lifes rule, when at a wedding with friends who have had a few too many, DON'T leave your waterproof camera on the table next to your 1/2 drank beer to go pee. Especially if you friends know your camera is waterproof. Washed it off with hot water and no stickiness( learned from the waterproof phone incident to wash quickly)
I bet if you got it out quick enough the heat would not affect the camera.

I hope your beer doesn't develope a ...film... Over it.

your own version of Clipper city brewing company's "loose cannon"?

I wouldn't give up on the camera just yet. Let it dry for a couple of days and try it again. If it still doesn't work and you think it's ruined anyway and therefore can't get any more ruined than it already is, this could be worth a try: Remove the battery and dunk the camera in hot water and swish it around for a bit (maybe 10 seconds or so). Then let it dry for a few days to make sure ALL the moisture is out of it. Pop the battery back in and give it a try. If it doesn't work, try it again. The sugar in there is liable to cause more problems than the moisture, so if you can get the sugar to go into solution and rinse out, the camera may still be okay, as least as a backup/brewing cam if nothing else.

I wouldn't give up on the camera just yet. If you think it's ruined anyway and therefore can't get any more ruined than it already is, this could be worth a try. Remove the battery and dunk the camera in hot water and swish it around for a bit (maybe 30 seconds or so). Then let it dry for a few days to make sure ALL the moisture is out of it. Pop the battery back in and give it a try. If it doesn't work, try it again. The sugar in there is liable to cause more problems than the moisture, so if you can get the sugar to go into solution and rinse out, the camera may still be okay, as least as a backup/brewing cam if nothing else.

Actually, there is a good rule of thumb here. Any electronics (cameras, cell phones etc) should have the battery pulled right away (and don't try to power it on) and put the device (and battery) in a bowl full of dry rice for 24-48 hours. Then pull it out, insert battery and power it up. Chances are it will work for more than a few days until you can get a replacement in. I used to sell cell phones and that worked much more often than it didn't.

I worry about the same thing when i take pics with my iPhone. That would be an expensive brew...

kblankenship11 said:
I worry about the same thing when i take pics with my iPhone. That would be an expensive brew...

And it would be much harder to pull the battery and let it dry out with that one...

I use my iPhone to take pictures of brew days. I actually HOPE that I accidentally drop it in the wort so I can abandon all Apple products. Long overdue.

Camera UPDATE:

I doused the camera with rubbing alcohol. Cleaned all of the "sticky" from the exterior and poured the alcohol into every orifice and crack that I could find. Then, let it dry.

When I reinserted the battery, it powered up just long enough for the lense to finish retracting and for the screen to light up and show the logo.

Then dead again... :(

Put it back in rice. If you can vacuum seal it that might help. Give it 24 hours. Put the battery back in and put it on a battery charger. When fully charged, pull the battery back out while still on the charger. Wait 10 seconds and reinsert the battery, as it starts to boot up pull off the charger.

I assumed that it was ruined. Probably is.

The title of the thread was tongue-in-cheek. It was also factual.

Just having fun...

Yeah, that's not what I meant. There are probably 1000 threads on here titled some variant of "is my beer ruined?" after the OP dropped, spilled, or otherwise got something they didn't intend into the beer.

So I thought it would be good to have one go the other way.

Yeah, that's not what I meant. There are probably 1000 threads on here titled some variant of "is my beer ruined?" after the OP dropped, spilled, or otherwise got something they didn't intend into the beer.

So I thought it would be good to have one go the other way.

Oh, OK. Yeah, that's a good one!

I was slow with that one...

Back