Had my first Airlock Blow out PIC included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShakerD

Reaction score
I actually cleaned it before I took a picture but here is

15 inches of Krausen on 12 gallons of beer.

photo.jpg

No wonder with the shape of that fermentor. Was this the first time you used it? It reminds me of how a flask will boil over in a second because of the narrow neck.

What is that anyway? A 15 gallon demijohn without the basket? Looks cool but man, i bet it's a pain to move

No wonder with the shape of that fermentor. Was this the first time you used it? It reminds me of how a flask will boil over in a second because of the narrow neck.

What is that anyway? A 15 gallon demijohn without the basket? Looks cool but man, i bet it's a pain to move

Yeah it's a 15g demi. This is my 46 batch all in the demi's. The Krausen always rises but not usually this high. I mashed low to make an easy drinking summer ale.

I pump in from the kettle and the fermentation chamber is high enough I just siphon in to two cornys when it's ready.

That's a cool fermenter. I'd surely drop that on my foot though. I'm paranoid with a handle, brew hauler and milk create. Nonetheless yours is awesome. What are demi's originally for? Wine?

What's the deal with the green tape?

The glass cracked so I taped it .... lol just kidding

I reused the insulated pad from the other demi (it's actually 4 generation which is why there is so much tape)and just added more painters tape. There is indeed a temp probe underneath.

That looks heavy. How do you clean it?

After I siphon the beer out its actually only a few lbs. Rinse with the bottle washer, soak over night with oxyclean and a quick scrub with the carboy brush.

Where do you get a fermenter like that?
The 15 gallon Demijohns were originally used for wine. Some LHBS sell them. They come in baskets and are usually expensive.

Take a look at kijiji or craigs list and you can usually find them really cheap. I picked up the 8 I have for around $10-20 each

Latest posts

Back