First ag questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwongburger

Reaction score
K so I just finished my first ag batch and have some questions with how to make it better next time my recipe was
8lbs 2 row
2lb Munich
1lb crystal75

1.5 chinook 60min
.5 nugget 20min
.5 zythos 7min
.5 nugget flameout

The bittering was ok and the flavor was not bad but it's a little light on body...like a little thin. one thing I can think of is that I could not keep my 153 degree mash temp up. Could that be the problem? Also there is very little head. I used 2/3 cups dextrose and waited two weeks but it was still pretty week. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mash temps are paramount to fermentability and body. If your temps fell low during your mash,say down to 150° or less, then you would definitely have a lighter bodied beer.

As far as head retention, there are many factors that can affect it. The most common would be a dirty glass, or not a "beer" clean glass. Others factors can include poor hot and cold breaks and lack of carbonation.

So keep your temps within range, throw a blanket over your MLT, or find a way to insulate it. Make sure you have a good hot break and chill quickly to get a good cold break. Make sure your carbonation levels are on par approx 5oz/5 gallons, or 1 oz/gallon, that should get you to abut 2.5 volumes. Most importantly make sure your glass is wiped clean. FWIW, I never glean any of my drinking glassware in the dishwasher, and I hand dry and polish my pint glasses right after washing.

What were your gravity readings? I had a similar problem w/ thin body--turns out my mill gap was too wide & my OG was way low.

Thanks for the insight...og was in the high 1050s and fg was around 1015 or so iirc. Got the grains from Austin home brew and asked for them to grain finely but I'd have no frame of reference as to what fine really is I suppose.

What were your gravity readings? I had a similar problem w/ thin body--turns out my mill gap was too wide & my OG was way low.

This recently happened to me. I was kinda drunk at the HBS buying my grains for an American Red ale and forgot to check the milling. When I got home i noticed it hadn't been milled very well, but said screw it and brewed with it anyway. My OG ended up around 1.046 and it should have been 1.060.

We'll have to see how it turns out...i bet it will be a bit thin, but hopefully still tasty.

mrwongburger said:
Thanks for the insight...og was in the high 1050s and fg was around 1015 or so iirc. Got the grains from Austin home brew and asked for them to grain finely but I'd have no frame of reference as to what fine really is I suppose.

1.050/1.015 is just about right and I've had great experiences with AHS-crushed grains, so it looks like it might be your mash temp as suggested. Thermometer calibrated? Check your mash in several different places? (I've seen 10F differences in my mash tun!)

Back