Looking for something to put into new white oak barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big are your barrels? Just a heads up that if you have the 60gal barrels and intend to fill them in new oak, the oak will take on much faster than you expect. I have a 60gal 3yr used (pinot noir) french oak barrel that has put more oak into my belgian wit than I ever would have expected in only a month and half. From my experience, prep well in advance to blend or have the means to pull your stuff out with a quickness. I'm lucky that the oak is just taming the 15% ABV, so I'm good to just let it lie for the time being.

Good luck!

How big are your barrels? Just a heads up that if you have the 60gal barrels and intend to fill them in new oak, the oak will take on much faster than you expect. I have a 60gal 3yr used (pinot noir) french oak barrel that has put more oak into my belgian wit than I ever would have expected in only a month and half. From my experience, prep well in advance to blend or have the means to pull your stuff out with a quickness. I'm lucky that the oak is just taming the 15% ABV, so I'm good to just let it lie for the time being.

Good luck!

Barrel beers, in my experience, pull a lot of oak in the first month but over the course of several more months the initial harsh oakiness fades and the beer as a whole grows far more complex. We did one as a club that I thought was ruined after 6 weeks, but now at 6 months it's awesome.

Back