Converting to welded couplers on keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garretto

Reaction score
I decided to switch from my weldless fittings on my keggles to welded 1/2" stainless steel couplers. Initially, I had one weldless fitting on both kegs. When I moved to welded couplers, I decided to add one more coupler close to the top of each keg for a return.
I have QDs from McMaster that will be screwed into the couplers so changing hoses will be quick and easy when using my new march pump.

I enlisted GreenMonti to do the welding after seeing his welding skills in Welding questions. He also drilled the new holes (as I don't have tools at my apartment) and plasma cut the top off of a third keg I am having him convert. The top will then have washers welded onto it so it can be used as a lid on the HLT.
Here are a few of the first pictures of the kegs:

Yea I am definitely happy he was close enough to make a trip to drop off the kegs.

Here are a few more photos:
Washer welded on the plasma cut lid
P1010127-1.jpg

Bottom view of the washer. No burn through.
P1010128-1.jpg

Lid on the keg. Dip tube used as handle.
P1010129-1.jpg

Yea....they are alright I guess....don't tell the welder I said anything tho haha

Here are some of the finished up pictures:

Right after the weld
P1010130-1.jpg

Hardly any discoloration on the inside:
P1010132-1.jpg

Cleaned up outside weld
P1010134-1.jpg

P1010135-1.jpg

P1010139-1.jpg

P1010140-1.jpg

Inside view of both welded couplers:
P1010141-1.jpg

What did you use to clean up those outside welds?
They look real nice cleaned up.

I just got my keg welded up and the welds are real dark and need some help.

Yea....they are alright I guess....don't tell the welder I said anything tho haha

I think it's pretty clear that the welder should be ashamed of such work and move down here to Austin to hide his shame...I'm sure I can find a few pieces to practice on before going back to WA. :D

<--- Extremely Jealous btw...

I didn't do those welds but I have seen plenty of GreenMonti's work on here.
I'd be willing to bet he used a hand held, stainless steel, wire brush while the material was still hot. If done properly, that's all that's needed, and he does OUTSTANDING work.

Ed

I didn't do those welds but I have seen plenty of GreenMonti's work on here.
I'd be willing to bet he used a hand held, stainless steel, wire brush while the material was still hot. If done properly, that's all that's needed, and he does OUTSTANDING work.

Ed

Ed is real close.

I used a wire brush while the area was still hot. Then I used a "grey wheel" by 3m.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass that info onto my welder next time I give him some beer. He works for beer.
l'll hit those welds with a 3M finishing disc.

Based on the fact that I haven't seen or used the gator grit polishing pads.......the 3 m grey wheels polish the metal about the same. So im pretty sure those will work for you. Probably the med grit pad will be the same.

GreenMonti, I have been following a number of threads related to welding kegs and found your stuff very helpful!

The key for me was to get a good back purge assembly (see below). I used a stainless utensil holder (found at cafeteria's) and trimmed this down with an angle grinder. I then slightly fish mouthed the edges to fit the contour of the keg.

I also found using the dimpling tool and pulling through the couplers was key for a nice tight fit. This method also does not require any filler rod which is even better. Altogether this setup seems to work great and its really evident in the welds.

With that said, when you welded the stainless washers to the lids, how did you end up purging the back side of the lid?

BACK PURGE ASSEMBLY.jpg

DIMPLING TOOL.jpg

WELDER.jpg

FINAL_WELD.jpg

Back