Word of Warning - Avoid Glass Airlocks Like the Plague

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmlangon

Reaction score
No matter how cool and interesting you think they may look, think again. Earned myself 17 stitches yesterday trying to remove the damn thing from my fermenter. USE PLASTIC!!!

photo-1.jpg

Yeah, I snapped a plastic one in half trying to get it out of a bung the other day. Just left a good scratch on my one hand. Would have been a disaster if it was glass.

Wow, I didn't know they made them in glass but what a good idea not to use them seeing how you hurt yourself so badly. Hope all goes well with the healing process.

I snap airlocks constantly. Glass would never be my buddy.

Yeah, the originals used to be glass, and were used in (bio)labs and by early amateur zymurgists. They still make em in glass but are horribly expensive now. You lost a nice relic there.

Hope that hand heals well.

No matter how cool and interesting you think they may look, think again. Earned myself 17 stitches yesterday trying to remove the damn thing from my fermenter. USE PLASTIC!!!

You're using the wrong type of bung. Get the universal bungs. They are much better to use. Easier to remove and they never fall into the carboys.

But point taken on the glass airlocks.

Aw, that'll buff right out ;)

Definitely invest in universal bungs, and a film of keg lube over the stem of a plastic S-lock will keep it from seizing in the bore...

Cheers!

I saw them for sale in my lhbs and thought what a waste of money.
Seriously to think people would drop 8 bucks on it. Cool factor... i dont think so.
When i was a new brewer i wanted every gadget and gizmo
now i want functional.

sorry about the stitches OP
that sucks.

Back