Hydrometer Reading at Secondary Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
Hello good folks,

I just had to mess with my brew and decided to transfer it to a secondary carboy yesterday after a week in the primary. (Coopers Irish Stout)

I was really impressed with the stuff. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Anyhow, I am not very adept with the hydrometer yet and this is what I believe my measurements are:

Starting at: 1.005
Currently at: 1.010

Calculated to be at 6.26%

It tasted quite good. My husband said it tastes just like Guniness and he is pleased.

We fed the yeast stuff at the bottom to the pig and haven't had any complaints there either...

Petunia

Thats probably right for the FG at 1.010 though most of the stout's I've seen have higher finishing gravities due to the unfermentable content. I think your beginning reading was probably 1.050 not 1.005 right?

If it taste good now, it will probably be really good in a few weeks.

I'm sure the yeast cake was delicious pig slop:tank:

Can I send my wife to visit you so she can learn to make beer for her husband?;)

Congrats on your first beer
Al

I think a final gravity of 1.010 is great for a nice dry stout. So I think GIusedtoBe was right, you OG was probably 1.050. So your ABV is (1.050-1.010)*131=5.24% Again, sounds about right for a dry stout. Should be a good, easy drinking beer.

Thanks for helping me sort out the hydrometer readings. Wish I could just dunk some digital doodad into the wort and have it tell me the right number.

Jesters: There is no way I am advanced enough to use that stuff for another batch. That'll have to wait a while, but I am not opposed to trying it. Heck, I haven't even done that with my cheese culture yet!

Petunia

Back