Coconut..need I say more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I didn't even research it, because I am going to bed, however, I thought I would ask this:

How would I add natural coconut flavor to a stout, without a cocnut extract?

Along that same line, I am "just now" thinking of a coconut/macadamia cream/milk stout, what would your thoughts be?

I just finished my 6th HB and it is bedtime, but I will be certain to pick this up in the A.M., any input is always appreciated. :)

Well, coconut extract is natural. Flavoring might not be. Its probably the easiest way. I'm not sure if anyone has had luck with coconut milk (not really milk) before.

Let me warn you about macadamia. Go VERY light on it! My roomate added 4oz to a chocolate stout. Apparently macadamia nut extract tastes like **** in beer.

I've made 2 chocolate coconut stouts. The first one was great the second not so...(but it's kegged!!)

In the first one I used 1 can of coconut milk and 1 - 14 oz bag of sweetened coconut (toasted) and andother bag in the secondary.

The second one I used 2 cans of coconut milk in the boil and 2 bags in the secondary.

IMO the second one contained too much coconut milk in the mouth and not enough in the end. The toasted coconut added a sweet bite aftertaste.

Next time I will not use any coconut milk and just use toasted cocunut in the secondary.

That's really what I was wondering if I could just use some shaved coconut in the boil, primary, or secondary. Sounds like I will try with my next stout. Thanks for the helpful info. HB99 out of curiosity, do you only extract brew ?

No, I haven't done an ALL extract brew in years.

I thought I was "steeping" (1-3 lbs of grains) before Warrior corrected me and told me I was mashing, albeit on a small scale.

I do small boils though (1.5-3 gals) in addition to the late addition (which I've been doing since 1994) for all my brews.:mug:

Oh, this is my 14,400 post...:ban:

So mini-mashing and steeping + extract?

I ask, because some of the pics you have posted of your brews are freakin awesome, especially the colors and clarity. I've just begun, have 3 brews under my belt, and still dialing in my process. Each brew, I have done something a little different to improve them. I want to move on to full boils, but looking at your photos I don't know if I need to :). I use all DME and steeping grains as well, I have not mashed yet or at least known that I have mashed. I steep my grains @ 155 for about 30 minutes before adding any DME and I practice the LA method.

What brand DME do you use?

My LHBS sells only Briess so I have nothing to compare it with any others. Normally I do a 3.5 gallon boil on the stovetop and kudos for the PUR filter because thats what I use as well.

Brew on brother Bill!

I buy Munton's DME in 55# boxes. Just picked up a box of Extra Light last week. I always have at least 100# on hand...just in case...;) I can place a base of 2 boxes on a dolly and have stacked up to 3 high (overkill, I know). DME has a shelf life of 2 years, but if it's stored in a cool dry place with no humidity I'm certain it lasts longer.

As for grain, I usually pick up the 10 lb bags of Pale and Pilsner. All the rest are in 1 lb bags. I guess I could go up to 50# bags and store them in a bin.

If I mini mash I do not need to steep. I made a chart (that I carry in my wallet) of grains that are sperated by must mash/kiln mash/mash or steep, etc.

I got the info from Palmer's Brew Your Own and made a table in WORD.DOC format, laminated it and placed it in my wallet for when I go shopping for supplies...like I plan on doing this afternoon.

You're right about zeroing in on a technique that works best for your situation. :mug:

I have over 20 cases of German 0,5 liter bottles, but I keg too.

Well I can tell you've been brewing for some time. I too hope to have a storage of supplies some day, for now its to my LHBS before each brew day. I think I am going to do two 5 gal batches next brew day, and make a batch of EDWort's Apfelwein.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but when you mini-mash how much grain and water do you use normally?

How large are the pots you use?

I have one 20 qt pot that I have been working with, however, if I understand correctly for mini-mashing it requires 2.

Don't worry about the questions...that's why we are here. ;)

I've made about 6 batches of the Apfelwein...all different. If you want a nice sweet one then use a German Hefe Weizen yeast. Very nice. No potassium sorbate or backsweetening needed.

I think my pots (2) are 4 gals.

Mashing about 2-3 lbs of grain I use about 1.5 gals at 155F for at least 30 mins (as recommended in Palmers How To Brew book. He says 60 mins, but 30 works also). I'll heat up water in the second pot. When it's ready to seperate the grain I'll pour that water into a primary bucket. Then I'll place a nylon net (held on with spring-type clothes pins) over the empty pot and pour the wort and grains into that. Then I'll sparge with the water from the primary bucket...return to heat.

Really simple.

I brewed a coconut porter several months ago and still have a little in the keg. It's a really good porter, but the coconut character is pretty subtle. I was trying to make something similar to Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter. Here's what I did, and what I may try in the future.

I bought 4 coconuts from the local whole foods store. For each coconut, I split it and put the "milk" in a container. I then scooped out all of the coconut meat and chopped it. I put it in a frying pan and cooked it until there was a lot of light tan pieces.

I used one coconut and the milk for the mash.
I added one coconut and the milk at the end of the boil (5 min).
I added one coconut and the milk (pasteurized) to primary.
I added one coconut and the milk (pasteurized) to secondary.

In each case, the amount of coconut was a little under a pound.

People who have tasted it said it was a good porter, but didn't pick up the coconut until I told them there was some in it. Next time I think it would be better to just add it all in secondary. Real coconut extract may be more effective.

Seems to me like coconut would kill the head retention. Coconut has a LOT of fat in it. If you get a can of non-homogenized coconut milk (no guar gum) and put it in the fridge you can can actually fry stuff in the big hunk of white coconut oil that separates from the water. It's how I make Thai curry.

Back