What's the most expensive beer you've seen or drank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
This "sink the Bismarck' at 41% abv would set me back €51 per bottle......it's only 33cl ffs
Won't be stocking that to often

image-428048852.jpg

^ that's the most expensive one I've drank.

But Utopias is the most expensive I've seen.

lots of hype around brew dog at the moment. i've had one of their offerings and it was pretty good, but very expensive for only a 4 pack. however, i always buy the big corked bottles when i purchase commercial beers so i'm used to paying out the arse for some of the finer things in life. have yet to try the sink the bismarck, but honestly, at that abv, i think i would rather have some jameson or a higher quality whiskey.

Ive had Utopias. Free...

I unknowingly had a 15 dollar 12oz pour of geuze last weekend....http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21734/85197

Oh yeah, the Dark Lord Barrel aged variants....50 bucks for a 750, I have 2. Its easy to pull that trigger in that situation(all the hype and excitement around the day) but in "real life" I dont think I could do it.

Hopleaf in chicago has quite the cellar list, I remember seeing some pricey Items but don't recall anything specific.

I've got a couple of Westie 12s in my fridge, but I haven't drank them yet. I also tried to buy a $16 8oz pour of Brewdog's Tokyo in a bar, but they were out, so my most expensive beer probably isn't that expensive.

Definitely the Utopia series. I think about $250 for a 750 mL. A bar close to me was selling it for $15 for a one ounce pour.

Sam Adams had a beer out a while back, think it was a triple bock at 40+ ABV that ran in the ball park of $125
When I had my liquor store had some belgiams in there that were in the $20+- range.

http://www.hopleaf.com/bottle_menu.html

Definitely some money to be spent on this list.....

BTW, this whole thread just reminds me how cheap beer is compared to wine. The most expensive beers in the world are still only 5-10% of some of the more expensive wines, Im not even talking about the upper echelon of ridiculousness like rare 100+ year old vintages, ect.

I'm pretty sure the belgian beer bar by my house has some 100$+ brews from their rare bottle room. Most everything is around 10$ a glass (Gulden Draak etc.) Most expensive beer I've consumed, hmmm. I can't remember but it probably was like 20$ for a bomber or something. Best value beer is at this dive bar by the house. On tuesdays they do 2 dollar you call its on everything and they have arrogant bastard on tap. Can't beat 2$ for a pint of arrogant bastard!

I have not seen this in real life, but I think it's the most expensive beer ever made commercially. Brewdog's End of History It was 55% ABV, only 11 were sold, and the bottles were stuffed into taxidermied roadkill. IIRC, the bottles were something like $2,000 a piece.

brewdog_taxidermy211_534.jpg

The most expensive beer I've had was Tactical Nuclear Penguin, also by BrewDog. I was at a class about beer at our local museum, and the presenter brought a bottle of it in. I got just a tiny sip of it, as the 12 oz bottle was shared between ~20 of us. At 32% abv it just tasted like whiskey. I believe after shipping the guy said he spent ~$100 on the bottle.

The most expensive beer I've ever purchased myself would probably be Black Flame, but I'm not sure. My local breweries' (White Flame Brewery, Hudsonville, MI) barrel aged Imperial Stout to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. They only made 120 of them, and it is the only bottled beer they have produced. That was $20. Luckily, they had it on tap on release day, so I can cellar the bottle I have.

If I think I'll like something, I won't think twice of spending $8-$15 on a single beer.

Whoops. No, I just remember I spent $25 for a bottle of Bolt Cutter, Founder's 15th anniversary barley wine. But I got another bottle of it for $17 at another store too. I got to drink this in the tap room too, so I still have both for cellaring.

Its about £11 a pint in Norway, and that's just your average lager. Damn that was a dear as **** weekend! The women over there made it worth it tho!

5 bottles of Fruet @ $30 a piece
Multiple bottles of Eclipse variants @ $30 a piece
Bell's BlackNote 12oz $12

The most expensive bottle of beer I've had from a bar: Scaldis Prestige de Nuits. I believe the pricetag was $68. I believe the liquor store price for the beer is around $45-$50. Worth it? Nope.

However, I have been able to try a fantastic mead recently (for free): Apis Poltorak Jadwiga. This was the BEST mead I have ever had. $19 a glass and $50/bottle at my local beer bar.

As for what I've bought from a store? No idea. I love lambics and other pricey beers so to pay $9+ for a small 375 mL is normal for me.

Unibroue La Fin du Monde $12.00 a bottle, but some of the best beer I've ever tasted. Do so regularly in fact.

55710.jpg

Collage Conflux No. 1 (Deschutes/HOTD) $12

(mighty fine I might add)

La fin du monde is a local beer they sold SOOOOOOO many of them right before 21 december 2012 ... La fin du monde means "End Of The World" :)

Sam Adams Millennium. $200 I saved for months and almost starved so I could afford a bottle. drank it 12-24-07, my son's first Christmas.

Utopias, this past January at our LHBC banquet. The owner of our best (and only) LHBC won it in a raffle, but he was nice enough to pop the top on it and serve a small 1 oz pour with everyone in the room. I think they're what, $300 a bottle if you can find them?! It tastes like malted raisin sherry.

I'm going to hunahpu day this year and they sell for $20 at the brewery (cash), but go for quite a bit on the secondary market. I'm keeping mine. Don't ask.

La fin du monde is a local beer

Awesome. I trust that you have done your civic duty and enjoyed one standing on turn 14 during the F1 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve then?

Also, just learned they're owned by Sapporo these days. Did not know that.

I remember that Sam Adams Triple Bock. It was like $150 a case, 20 years ago. I never saw it anywhere to be poured (and I wasn't spending $150 for the case).

The most I ever spent was $14 for St. Bernardas Christmas, 10oz draft. I also really like S. Smith's Yorkshire Stingo. They're $15/pint bottle. I'll pick one up once in a while.

(I've spent $48 for 2oz of scotch)

About $10 for a bomber or around $15-20 for a four or six pack. While I understand people spending more for them I can't bring myself to spend more. But I am sure a lot of people think spending $10 for a bomber is outragous.

Had a co-worker buy me a sixer of Simcoe Sillier and 4th Dementia from Kuhnhenns in Warren, MI.
Total cost - $52.00

I wanted 2 six packs of their DRIPA, the beer that won the World Beer Cup, but they didn't have it bottled for sale.

http://www.kbrewery.com/

I came in to post a bottle of Westvleteren 8 that I bought for ¥2,200 (~US $23.50) but then remembered that my friends gave me a bottle of Utopias a few years ago. So Utopias!

Back