A year of experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
I have just bottled my 13th batch of wine, here are some of my observations and questions:

Most of my batches finish with an bitter-alcohol taste. These get better after 6 months to a year of aging.

Reguardless of which fruit is used, the wines finish very light with little or no flavour of the fruit used.

I have typically used Premier Curvee yeast, does the yeast used have much effect on the end product or aging time?

Is it to be expected that a year of aging is needed to calm the alcohol taste?

Thanks for the help, just trying for continuous improvement......

Yeast makes a big difference. Some, like champagne yeast, have a tendency to distroy a lot of flavour leaving a bland product.
Some need specific temperature ranges or they produce nasty fusels

Higher the alcohol content the longer the aging time needed.

I used ec1118 in a apple wine/cider. Stripped most of the flavour out and it tasted 'hot' at %10.
Same ABV made with a ale yeast was super flavourful and you could barely taste the alcohol.

How long are you leaving the wine on the lees? What are you using to top off with? What kind of nutrient are you using? I use Premier Cuvee along with raisins for a nutrient for my dark berry wines. I am a "simple" winemaker so I splash rack once a week or every two weeks until there are very little lees. The only bitter wine I have made was orange grapefruit, and I let it bulk age, then it was drinkable.

A cooler ferment would most likely help with the 'hot' alcohol. Maybe a bit more fruit and less adjuncts (sugar), or using an adjunct like corn sugar as opposed to cane sugar.

Typically it has been 5 -14 days at first racking, I may rack 2-4 times depending on the wine, total ferment time is typically 30 - 40 days. I manage head space with different sizes of carboys instead of topping off. I have used yeast nutrient from MWS in my wines. Ferment temps have typically been arround 70F, I could cool or heat this up some if that would help but the temps are within the yeasts tollerance???

Back