what monster is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
So there I was, once again perusing the LHBS offerings. I came up with the following ingredients for my next brew-

3.3 lb pilsen LME
3.3 lb Golden LME
1 lb Maris Otter

3/4 oz magnum 60 m
3/4 oz Fuggles 15 m
3/4 oz Mosaic 5 m
3/4 oz Sorachi Ace flameout

The question is this- Anyone make something like this before? Does this look like a good idea, and are there any suggestions for substitutions or altered amounts for the above ingredients?

I would appreciate any feedback. It all sounded like a great idea when I picked out the ingredients, now I'm not so sure and want second opinions.

thanks.

My concern is the hop amounts. My store sells hops in 1 oz. increments. So to do 4 additions of 3/4 oz. each would mean I have to seal up and store 4 pouches of hops, 1/4 oz. each, in my freezer, and use them soon before they oxidize. I'd suggest just using 1 oz. each of 3 hops rather than 3/4 oz. each of 4 hops.

Other than that, go ahead and brew it! That's one of the big joys of this hobby, experimenting and see how different recipes and ingredients affect the resulting beer.

My concern is the hop amounts. My store sells hops in 1 oz. increments. So to do 4 additions of 3/4 oz. each would mean I have to seal up and store 4 pouches of hops, 1/4 oz. each, in my freezer, and use them soon before they oxidize. I'd suggest just using 1 oz. each of 3 hops rather than 3/4 oz. each of 4 hops.

Other than that, go ahead and brew it! That's one of the big joys of this hobby, experimenting and see how different recipes and ingredients affect the resulting beer.

I wanted to adjust my hop amounts downward a little since the last brew I attempted. Last time I used 4 one-ounce increments and it was hoppier than I want this one to be. As far as the quarter ounce remainders, I can find a use for them elsewhere...I will probably make a kitchen sink brew and see what happens.

Move that sorachi up to 15 or 30. Wanna get as much flavor from that as possible

Good thought. I wasn't sure exactly when to put in the Sorachi Ace or the Mosaic really...but maybe if Sorachi Ace is a really good flavor hop then I can bump it. what then to do with the Fuggles and Mosaic...

Latest posts

Back