Bell's is the best.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40oz2freedom said:
It's the best beer to take labels off and reuse bottles. What say you?

New to this but voting Guinness Draught, they're shrink-wrapped on so you can just cut them off! Not the cheapest, but man they were easy!

Franziskaner bottles are easy to remove the labels from. Just soak in Oxyclean and hot water, and the labels fall right off. It usually takes about 10 minutes. I have about 3 cases of their empty bottles, love em.

I second the Bell's. Sometimes the labels have fallen halfway off before I'm done pouring the beer into the glass.

I like fat tire, new belgium. The labels come off easy enough with hot soapy water but really easy with oxy soak. The bottles are cool too.

Also, my brother brought me a six pack of rat tail ale from Ohio and those labels peeled right off just from the beer sweating with no residue.

Bell's bottles are pretty easy, but after about a minute in warm water Duvel labels fall off like they were attached with nothing.

I have a few Bells in the fridge to try this on, thank you.

Another suggestion to who ever can find them, New Glarus bottles from WI work great after a hot soak.

Bells bottles are the best to harvest yeast from :) Mmmm

I also like Schells bottles in MN. Also very easy to get the labels off. Their beer is half the cost of Bells and about half as good!

Bells are good, Sam Adams are pretty easy too, Franzenkeiner are by far the easiest but they are a lighter brown tint. While I love Two Brothers here in IL, its a huge PITA to get those off, I dont even try anymore, straight to the recycling bin after consumption.

My vote goes to Costco brand Kirkland ale. You can get a case of it (comes as a variety pack) for like $19 and the labels come right off after a 10 minute soak in water alone. Best part is the case comes with individual six pack carriers.

The beer is alright, but when compared to buying bottles for $15 at my LHBS, I would much rather have them filled with beer for $4 more :)

I like Deschutes bottles. The labels come off easily enough. And they are really cool looking with a little hop logo/embossed thing, but no text on the actual glass.

I have used a ton of New Belgium bottles as well, but I wish they didn't actually have the words "New Belgium" in the glass.

Lagunitas, Deschutes and Red Hook are my preferred.
Sierra Nevada bottles aren't bad but I have shattered more than a couple while bottling. And I thinks that's the only brand it's happened to. Not sure why.

Fan0Alen said:
Bells are good, Sam Adams are pretty easy too, Franzenkeiner are by far the easiest but they are a lighter brown tint. While I love Two Brothers here in IL, its a huge PITA to get those off, I dont even try anymore, straight to the recycling bin after consumption.

Picked up some 2 brothers in Peoria for a hockey trip and it tasted great. Couldn't agree more on the labels though. I don't even try anymore either.

Bells, Samuel Smith, Green Flash, Kirkland, Boulevard Smokestack Series and almost any Belgian are great. I hate 2 brothers, Rogue, Smuttynose, and any twist offs.

Back when I was using crown caps I preferred Dogfish Head bottles. The label is unvarnished and they use water-soluble glue. Labels come right off in hot water.

Besides, DH is fun to drink!

My favorites to delabel are Bell's, Atwater, and DFH.
Sam Adams is also easy, but I hate the fact that the class is still imprinted with their name.

Avoid saving Short's Brewing Co. bottles.
Although their beer is crazy delicious, the labels are a PITA to remove.

North Peak bottles in short "Red Stripe" bottles. I love saving these, as it's just a different shape that people arn't used to for homebrew. Although they don't print directly on the bottle like red stripe, the labels are often the most difficult. However, for the cool "grenade" shape, it's worth it.

FreshZ said:
Picked up some 2 brothers in Peoria for a hockey trip and it tasted great. Couldn't agree more on the labels though. I don't even try anymore either.

Two bros are the easiest to remove since they are just like bumper stickers, just peel them dry and they come of in one piece with no residue. If you try to soak them like paper labels then they are impossible.

Bells are great, as well as Duvel as mentioned. Just about any Belgian or French beer I've had the labels come off with just warm water pretty much.

Haven't seen these on here yet: Smithwicks label comes off pretty easy after a 5 minute soak in water. Rush River bottles delabel easy as well.

Back