Brett L secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostsr20

Reaction score
Planning a Flanders red type recipe with a clean 1056 primary and pitching Brett l and French oak in secondary. Really looking to experiment with each Brett strain. Anyone have any input as to the character I might expect from it?

pitch the 1056 and the Brett together for best results.

Best results is somewhat relative. If you want lots of brett character (though not as much as a pure brett beer) this is a good recommendation. If you want subtle brett character pitching in secondary will do that. I've also heard of people pitching brett at bottling (I think boulevard does this in their smokestack saison brett) though I think this might be a recipe for bottle explosion unless you were fairly confident in your prediction of brett effectiveness. might be interesting to brew a double batch and pitch the brett at different times as an experiment.

You're not going to get a Flanders Red just pitching Brett. FRs have a pretty sour combo of lactic and acetic acids, and you'll get very little of that from Brett. You'd need to add some bacteria as well.

Edit: a guy in my brew club did the same thing. He brewed a Flanders Red recipe and pitched just Brett B or L in secondary and let it sit for a year. It resulted in an amber/red colored ale with a huge horse blanket/horsey flavor (no sourness though). Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are going for, it just won't be a Flanders. Maybe you already know that, but a lot of people don't.

I made a Flanders Red last year that was recently bottled and I used 1056 for primary then roeselare for 12 months in secondary. Came out ruby red and almost the perfect amount of sour to it. Next time I will give it another 3 months or so to kick it up a notch.

As for the brett I also recently made a Golden Belgian trying to clone Goose Islands Matilda and used some brett in secondary and got a good amount of the horse hair taste in just about 6 weeks. No sourness but a nice brett finish.

Next time I make a flanders I may add some brett at the one year mark after the roeselare just to see if it keeps the brett finish.

You're not going to get a Flanders Red just pitching Brett. FRs have a pretty sour combo of lactic and acetic acids, and you'll get very little of that from Brett. You'd need to add some bacteria as well.

Edit: a guy in my brew club did the same thing. He brewed a Flanders Red recipe and pitched just Brett B or L in secondary and let it sit for a year. It resulted in an amber/red colored ale with a huge horse blanket/horsey flavor (no sourness though). Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are going for, it just won't be a Flanders. Maybe you already know that, but a lot of people don't.

Nope, I know all that. I'm not after a Flanders red Just using the recipe of it. My problem is that I've got a ton of sour beer bottled and I really don't know what each strain contributes individually. I guess I kinda got into wild sled backwards. I'm thinking I may split this batch and do half L and half C. I've got a culture of lacto/pedio I can pitch if I don't like where it's going.

Brewed today and changed course a lot. Wanted to do all Brett c/L but didn't have the time to make a large starter. I have a good grasp on the 3711 profile so I pitched that along with them. Should be an interesting beer none the less. So does Brett super attenuate when pitch with sacc from the start?

Brewed today and changed course a lot. Wanted to do all Brett c/L but didn't have the time to make a large starter. I have a good grasp on the 3711 profile so I pitched that along with them. Should be an interesting beer none the less. So does Brett super attenuate when pitch with sacc from the start?

from what i understand it needs lacto and pedio to super attenuate.

Latest posts

Back