Carboy / plug issue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfmaniac

Reaction score
Soooo I got a carboy from a friend, he gave up trying to get the plug out that had fallen into it...

is there any way to get the plug out ? or should I just scrap it ?

thanks
Jakob

The easiest way is to use a sturdy wire (e.g. from a clothes hanger), hook it through the hole in the bung and pull it out that way. Then throw it away and switch to universal stoppers (aka Buon Vino stoppers) or carboy caps, since these are impossible to push into the carboy.

Sorry NordeastBrewer77, didn't even think of that ... I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks ArcaneXor.

Jakob

The coat hanger works well (personal experience). I have also modified this trick for extracting a cork from a wine bottle to remove a stopper with a small hole that I could not get out with a coat hanger.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Thank you all for the great ideas, I ended up using the bag trick, get the neck of the carboy and the stopper wet, then stick half a trash bag into the opening, had my kid hold the carboy upside down while I just tugged on the bag a little and it "popped" right out, no sweat/blood or tears :) I can HIGHLY recommend that way.

again, thank you all for the help.

Jakob

:) Thank you all for the great ideas, I ended up using the bag trick, get the neck of the carboy and the stopper wet, then stick half a trash bag into the opening, had my kid hold the carboy upside down while I just tugged on the bag a little and it "popped" right out, no sweat/blood or tears :) I can HIGHLY recommend that way.

again, thank you all for the help.

Jakob

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

yeah, i can vouch for the bag trick. Just use the disposable plastic bags form the grocer. It literally takes less than a minute including walking to the pantry to get the bag.

Latest posts

Back