Designing a Table for my Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfernoBrews

Reaction score
Was Looking for some ideas/Pictures on building a Table for my Grain Mill. I Pretty much have it planned but just making sure there is not a better idea floating around.

I used an old lower cabinet. I took the shelf and created a "false bottom" to hold the drill and mill. I open the cabinet and put my bucket underneath to catch the milled grain. Great thing about this system is when I am milling, I shut the cabinet door to reduce grain dust.

A few things that I think are important:

1. Mount the mill on top of the table if conveniently possible. This makes adjusting the gap much easier. This is a general suggestion and may not be the way to go with some mill designs.

2. Set it up with a detachable hopper. This will make for more compact storage and it makes the rollers more accessible in the event of a jamb or when setting the gap.

3. Try to avoid excessive side loading of the mill bushings. This will cause pre-mature wear. A direct drive configuration works really well with the added benefit of minimal side loading.

4. IMO, it's nice to keep the overall footprint small. The mill will only see occasional use for short durations. It's a tool, much like a table saw or any appliance and not something you really need to show off in your kitchen or living room.

5. Slow speed milling is generally better. I like 100-200 rpm, but no more than 300 max. This is nothing but my personal preference. Less dust, less noise and less wear and tear on the mill. YMMV etc.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.

I built the one below off of someone else's design here on HBT. Not finished yet since I still need the mill, but you get the idea. Going to be a Schmidling mounted on the top with a motor and an ale pail fits on the insdie. Also plan to put a hole in the side so I can hook my Shopvac on to it to keep down on dust. All was built to match the table for my Kal clone project.
Tom
IMG_20110512_230003.jpg

IMG_20110512_230027.jpg

IMG_20110421_204716.jpg

I built the one below off of someone else's design here on HBT. Not finished yet since I still need the mill, but you get the idea. Going to be a Schmidling mounted on the top with a motor and an ale pail fits on the insdie. Also plan to put a hole in the side so I can hook my Shopvac on to it to keep down on dust. All was built to match the table for my Kal clone project.
Tom
IMG_20110512_230003.jpg

IMG_20110512_230027.jpg

IMG_20110421_204716.jpg

Tom, you are the man, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back