This freaking rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like i've taken a new step in my brewing "career".

Today was the first 10 gallon batch. I'll tell ya, seeing 14 gallons of wort in the kettle is exciting. It is awesome.

Soon, I will have my first 10 gallon batch in the fermenter...10 gallons of award winning Lake Walk Pale Ale (anniversary edition)!!!!!

636-10gallonboil.jpg

1st hop addition is in....3 more to go...

80 degrees here today!! Great day to brew!

Jesus, I'm here at work and I didn't have to see that. Now I'm jealous. Looks good, Dude. 10 gallons now, soon before you know it, you will be doing 50.

loop

I hope your are watching that carefully.

I do 10 G batches and the hops are a real pain.....keep lots of cold water handy...I cannot image a spray bottle will help much. I made he mistake of adding too much cold water in a panic....and had even less boil room a few minutes later.

Best of luck!

Axegod said:
I hope your are watching that carefully.

I do 10 G batches and the hops are a real pain.....keep lots of cold water handy...I cannot image a spray bottle will help much. I made he mistake of adding too much cold water in a panic....and had even less boil room a few minutes later.

Best of luck!

Wow...you read my mind..I was about to post that same thing. Two near boil-overs. I had to babysit that kettle like never before.

Slurry is pitched and I am cracking a brew!!!! What an awesome freaking day!!!!

Miscellaneous notes:

While I was goofing around during the boil, I racked the Gruagach to a keg--that is going to be a killer beer. I can't wait to have that on tap.

Simcoe is my favorite hop, bar none. I love the aroma on those.

The latest Red Eye Rye is racked to secondary after only 5 days in primary--it was pretty cloudy during the whole rack so I assume plenty of yeast is still in suspension. I'll take a hydro reading (and a taste) later.

Man that sucks. You guys get 80f temps and I'm still stuck at 32f in a snow storm (well a little one anyway) and working.
Anyway that do look great. I just had my keg cut and my next brew will also be a 10 gallon one.

Dude said:
Wow...you read my mind..I was about to post that same thing. Two near boil-overs. I had to babysit that kettle like never before.

Ya, I have a 13 or 14 gallon fermentor - and have done a couple of 10 or 11 gallon batches. I think I figured out my capacity and required water levels. I basically start with a higher OG whilst boiling and water it down as I go. It started by accident since I had to dump a couple extra gallons into the keggle to stop boilovers.

The end result is that I have to account for the boilover water and make up for the body and ABV in the grain bill.

Back