when to move bottles to cellar temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
hey all,

whats the best way to know when its time to move bottles from the 70 degree "carbing" temps of my house, to the 55 degrees of the garage/cellar?

thoughts?

When they are perfect! Cooler temperatures slow down the aging process, so when you get to a beer that is perfectly conditioned, that's the time for you to help preserve that state by sticking it in the fridge or at cellar temperatures.

I have to go with the pipe line push for the next two weeks the beer only gets 2 weeks and that is not enough but it if it slows down not a real bad thing because i am already building next summers drinks brew when i can on bike most nice days in summer

When they are perfect! Cooler temperatures slow down the aging process, so when you get to a beer that is perfectly conditioned, that's the time for you to help preserve that state by sticking it in the fridge or at cellar temperatures.

so, heres another question.

I have some foreign extra stout that I bottled on halloween.... after about 5 weeks i tried one, and the carb was perfect, but it still tasted a little green. I thought that once the carb was done, thats the time to allow the beer to "condition," so I dragged them out into the garage.

So, youre saying i should allow them to sit a little longer at room temp if they still taste green, right?

should I drag them back inside (theyve been at ~55deg for a few days)?

thanks.

I you want your beer to carb and condition, then you need to leave it at the temps the yeast like to work in, and thats is 70 or above....If you want the yeast to go dormant and not do anything, then cellar the beer.

so, heres another question.

I have some foreign extra stout that I bottled on halloween.... after about 5 weeks i tried one, and the carb was perfect, but it still tasted a little green. I thought that once the carb was done, thats the time to allow the beer to "condition," so I dragged them out into the garage.

So, youre saying i should allow them to sit a little longer at room temp if they still taste green, right?

should I drag them back inside (theyve been at ~55deg for a few days)?

thanks.

Right- if they are still green, I'd keep them at room temperature. The beer will still age at cellar temps, but much more slowly. If you want to wait it out, the beer will still condition out in the garage. It's just much faster at 70 degrees.

I have to go with the pipe line push for the next two weeks the beer only gets 2 weeks and that is not enough but it if it slows down not a real bad thing because i am already building next summers drinks brew when i can on bike most nice days in summer

sorry man, but that makes no sense. thanks for the reply though.

Back