Ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a christmas ale that I brewed back a couple weeks ago. After a fast and furious initial fermentation I moved it to a secondary. I have not seen any bubbles in the airlock for a few days, and gravity yesterday (12/10) is the same as today . . but if I swirl the beer in the carboy, I do see a couple bubbles? Do I need to wait to bottle?

Thoughts?

Date Day Gravity Reading
11/27/2010 0 1.087
12/2/2010 5 1.025
12/10/2010 13 1.022
12/11/2010 14 1.022

little tight for xmas :) it could be done fermenting but i doubt the yeast have cleaned up yet if your not serving it on dec 25 i would wait. If you are it should have time to carb but may have some off flavors.

You need one more day of consistent gravity (i believe the limit is same gravity over three days), test it tomorrow if it's the same it can be bottled. You also don't need to check your gravity so many times. I only do it when I plan on bottling, otherwise you are risking oxidation.

Just realized that's almost exactly where my dunkelweizen was brewed at, OG 1.089, FG 1.020. If you are planning on bottle conditioning though, i doubt it'll happen by christmas (christmas 2011, yea it will). The gravity is too high, my dunkelweizen has been in the bottle for over a month and still no carbonation. Kegging might be ok but you're not letting the beer age long enough to be optimum flavor-wise.

You also don't need to check your gravity so many times. I only do it when I plan on bottling, otherwise you are risking oxidation.

I checked after 5 days when I transfered to secondary, then yesterday and today when thinking of bottling. I will need to check one more time for the 3rd day of consistent gravity. Are any of those readings not worth taking?

Today's reading would have been a waste of time. Take a reading on the 13th. If it's still 1.022, you are ready to bottle. If not, take another reading on 16th etc. Go ahead and bottle when you get two identical readings spaced 3 days apart.

-a.

I checked after 5 days when I transfered to secondary, then yesterday and today when thinking of bottling. I will need to check one more time for the 3rd day of consistent gravity. Are any of those readings not worth taking?

Like ajf got it right, today's reading wasn't needed. I didn't realized you used a secondary, then you wouldn't be risking any more oxidation then what is inherently in racking in general, I do the same thing and i usually just use the beer that gets left over after racking anyways (after decanting the yeast trub out).

Back