Turkey fryers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's such crap. Of course it's going to overflow if you have it too full, or have a bunch of water/ice on the turkey. Just like frying anything else. I'm sure there are plenty of idiots out there who injure themselves horribly, though.

BTW, deep fried turkey is really good....

You mean you can actually cook turkeys with them? Is that kind of like brewing that cockale in Papaizan's book?

There's marks on my turkey fryer that show how high to put the oil and it's barely to the halfway mark. The manual had in big bold letters on the bottom of every page DO NOT USE INDOORS OR OVERFILL FIRE HAZARD but I guess people are lazy.

My pop does turkeys with his all the time but WTF is up with that video?

Who cooks a half frozen turkey?
Where did you think the oil would go when you over filled it?
Did you think the kettle wouldnt tip over if ya push it over?
No one ever told you to put a lid on a oil/greese fire?
You never thought that a piece of metal full of 350 degree oil and over a direct flame WOULD BE HOT?

. . . my head is starting to hurt . . .

I can't run the clip, but the one time I saw someone actually do a turkey, they ended up setting the parking lot on fire.

my (wife's) family fries their turkey every year for thanksgiving. It is the best turkey I have ever had! get a good injector and shoot that sucker up with some flavors. watch the temp and you end up with an incredible crispy on the out side, super juicy on the inside bird in very little time.

ive fried a few turkeys...we inject the turkey with "special sauce" and normally use half peanut oil and half shortening - cook at 350 for 5 minutes per pound. YUMMMMMMY :)

That video was actually pretty sweet. We've had the fryer overflow once pretty majorly... didnt flame up like that though. If you do use one of these fryers, COOK OUTSIDE, and cook somewhere when you wont mind some lingering lard... like your back yard off in a corner.

sirsloop said:
ive fried a few turkeys...we inject the turkey with "special sauce" and normally use half peanut oil and half shortening - cook at 350 for 5 minutes per pound. YUMMMMMMY :)

That video was actually pretty sweet. We've had the fryer overflow once pretty majorly... didnt flame up like that though. If you do use one of these fryers, COOK OUTSIDE, and cook somewhere when you wont mind some lingering lard... like your back yard off in a corner.

having a fire extinguisher handy is never a bad idea as well.

Once a year on Thanksgiving. One turkey in the oven and one turkey out on the back patio with me and my beer. That one gets the cajun rub and injections. Fried to a cripsy brown in 40 minutes and it gets eaten to the bone before the other one gets touched.

Generally about 20 family members over every year.

Sadly, they'll have to do without this year since my turkey fryer is being put to much better use....:ban:

I think I'll have to start a tradtion of brewing a pumpkin AG on Thanksgiving.

Anyone have the number to KFC? :D

I love fried turkey but making it is a safety hazard. I was first introduced to them at lambeau field and let's just say that drinking around a pot filled with hot oil is sketchy. I havn't used my current turkey fryer for anything other than brewing beer but I did save the pieces just in case I change my mind later. I kind of feel like I would be iprostituting my brew pot if I made it turn a few tricks for frying a turkey.

alton brown fries a turkey the proper way

me personally i use all peanut oil, and always brine my turkey

b4 i even pour any oil into my pot, i place my unthawed turkey into pot, pour water over turkey until it is submerged...pull turkey out and measure water... thats how much peanut oil i will use

pt1

pt2

pt3

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone use their turkey fryer to fry turkeys and their brew? I am wondering if the smell or taste would tranfer to their wort?

I mentioned a turkey fryer to my wife in regards to my next purchase and she liked the idea of deep fried turkey...she might be p*ssed if I decided that we couldn't use it for that :D

I just did one yesterday! :rockin: Very good turkey. My family tears into it.

I use a separate pot. The oil is very hard to get out of the pot all the way. I do use the turkey pot to steam crabs too.

I once had a flare up when putting wings in my pot. I dip them in a little at a time to prevent overflow, but left it in there too long. Luckily I had a good jacket on and welding gloves, so all I got was a suntan on my face. Easily 8' of flames. My friends thought it was hilarious once they found out I was ok. The fire went out pretty quick by itself. The wings were good too. :cross:

Just about all turkey frying fires could be solved by one simple practice: whenever putting something in or taking it out of the pot, TURN THE FIRE OFF. Hot oil won't ignite without the ignition source.

and yes, fried turkey is soooo good.

And the best use for old peanut oil... fire starter (or fun) for the campfire.

Back