about to try first extract brew some ????'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Ok here goes everyone, I have done 2 canned kits and decided to jump into some extract brewing. I went to LHBS and got a recipe for a Hoegarden white ale which I was told would be like what blue moon is supposed to be because that is the wifeys favorite beer. The dilemma is that the recipe calls for 8oz flaked wheat, 8oz belguim aromatic wheat, 8oz flaked oats, 1lb weyer lt wheat, I have 1 big nylon bag and 3 sock material bags I am guessing that the nylon bag is for this? Then I add the 6lbs of DME straight into wort no steeping correct? then I add 1oz of Tettnang hops I will steep these in one of the sock bags correct? Next step is to add 1/2 oz of czech saaz hops, 1/2oz orange peel, 1/2oz of crushed coriander seeds question here does all this go in one bag or how does this work? Next I add the exact same thing so I am guessing I use the last sock material bag for this. So basically does all this sound right and any suggestions that anyone can offer would be great. As I said this my first try in this type of brewing so I am ready to soak up all the knowledge possible. Crushing the seeds should I do this in the sock or where should this take place. Thanks guys

Read this:
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Brewing Your First Extract and Specialty Grain Beer
It will make it all clear.

In a nutshell, you are going to want to steep the grains in hot water. Then remove the grains and boil the wort it leaves behind adding your hops and spices at the correct times. The DME can be added once you reach a boil, but you should take the pot off the heat until it's mixed in so it doesn't scorch.

But read that link I sent you. It'll be a huge resource for you.

I'd use the "socks" for the grains, and the nylon bag for the hops and everything else. But, if your hops are pellets, then the bag won't do much good - at least with my experience - so adding them straight to the wort is what I do. I steep my grains before adding the DME.

+1 on adding all additions straight to the wort. You can always leave it behind when you transfer it to the secondary.

Also, I would suggest just barely cracking the corriander seeds, just prior to adding to the wort. This will allow for you to impart the flavor but you don't have so small of pieces that you can't leave behind in your primary.

Latest posts

Back