Sam Adams Homebrew contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial. Sam Adams hosts a homebrew contest for their employees every year. This year they are opening it up to the general public. Whoever wins will have their beer brewed and sold by sam adams!

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions.aspx

I havent made any of my own recipes so I doubt ill do it, but just wanted to share the news.

I just saw it as well and I think I will give it a try. Sounds like fun. It was pretty cool seeing home brewers in a commercial!
EDIT:
Here is the entry form if anyone else is interested. Time is short so anyone who wants to enter will have to act fast. Especially if they haven't brewed the beer yet.
http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/LongShot/LongShot_Homebrew_Contest.pdf

I saw a TV ad about this yesturday..... seems neat and adds interest about homebrewing too. The fine print says that if you win they give you one time royalty of 5 grand and you give up rights to the recipe and they get it and can brew it for themselves. Man id be pissed if it got to be a really popular beer and they make millions off it and all i got was 5 grand and maybe some braggin rights. Not that I could really win anyhow. :D

It might be worth it if you got your picture on the bottle dressed up in a colonial style outfit like Sam!!

I wonder if they provide judging notes. Did anyone see if they give you feedback on your brew? Is Charlie P. going to just kick our arses rightside in?

RichBrewer said:
To me it seems more like a marketing opportunity and I think they have a soft spot for home brewers.
Yea that's what I think. When you consider Ed started Boston Brewing in his gargage as a home brew,
Plus if you read in the fine print that 5 grand not only gets them ownership of your recipie, but use of your face for advertising purposes. I'll bet their Ad agency came up with this, I doubt your recipie is what they are after they get to pay for a few trips, $5k and are counting on the winner to do a few commercials because they are excited. So for a total of maybe 15-25k total investment, they get a killer marketing ploy, a face for commercials that they don't have to pay $30k + royalties to. I think it's brilliant. You get a regular guy or girl to advertise their homebrew (garage brewer makes it big, people like that ****) and it not only promotes the Sam Adams brand name (which your beer will take on) but makes the company look like they are all about the little guy.

I was gonna start a post to see if anyone was gonna do this contest. I did a quick search and found this thread already in action. I felt the same way that 5 grand is low for what they will make. One part of me wants to send in one of my beers just to see what happens. The other agrees that this is all marketing...I learned a long time ago from Hunter S. Thompson "The television industry is a long dark hollow hallway where THIEVES and pimps run free and good men die like dogs." This contest sounds like they are promising they only want to cuddle. Next thing you know you wake up the next day and your @ss hurts. Heres a prize I would like to see: The winner gets their beer marketed so they make millions and in return the homebrewer wins a small turnkey brewery. They are going to make alot of money and a small gesture of helping the winner become a brewery owner is the way this should go. Guiness has given away Pubs in Ireland for contests to people who wrote 50 words or less essay explaining guiness.

Daneaux said:
Heres a prize I would like to see: The winner gets their beer marketed so they make millions and in return the homebrewer wins a small turnkey brewery. They are going to make alot of money and a small gesture of helping the winner become a brewery owner is the way this should go.

So you want Sam Adams to find a homebrewer that can SERIOUSLY brew some good beer, and then set that brewer up to a self-sufficient competitor to Sam Adams?

:)

-walker

Send in your beer and if it wins dont sell it to them for 5 grand and make a big thing about it on the news. Then start your own brewery ... Your marketing will be done which costs millions of dollars...all you have to do is BREW...

Yea that sounds stupid huh? But what they are giving is just as stupid. I am glad I found this today. I was on the fence if I was gonna send out the beers today or not and now I know which side of the fence I am on. All I am saying is they could do better for the winner.

Flucky07 said:
Send in your beer and if it wins dont sell it to them for 5 grand and make a big thing about it on the news. Then start your own brewery ... Your marketing will be done which costs millions of dollars...all you have to do is BREW...
By entering, you already agree (legally binding) to sell them the recipe and let them brew it if you are selected the champion.

The loophole you are trying to exploit doesn't exist. :)

If I had one of my own recipes that I thought was good, I wouldn't hesitate to send it in. I really could care less about the money, or even giving them the rights to the brew (note: this does not prevent you from continuing to make it, just from marketting it, something you, as a homebrewer,can't do anyways). I just think it would be neat to have that huge boost of fame, and from then on be known as an awesome brewer. To me, that is worth far more than any recipe I will ever create.

If you send in a recipe, the best that can happen is that you win, the worst is that you are the same place you are in right now. I don't understand why you wouldn't enter, unless you have some super recipe that you plan on making more than $5K off of.

opqdan said:
don't understand why you wouldn't enter, unless you have some super recipe that you plan on making more than $5K off of.

well put.

I might enter a couple, and I could care less if Sam Adams makes an assload of money off of it. I would get the recognition (and the $5k). If I don't enter, I just have 4 more bottles of homebrew to drink.

-walker

also, if you do win, you can always approach the company and tell them, "I've got a lot more recipes. I'd be willing to sell them to you if you want to work out a deal."

Walker-san said:
well put.

I might enter a couple, and I could care less if Sam Adams makes an assload of money off of it. I would get the recognition (and the $5k). If I don't enter, I just have 4 more bottles of homebrew to drink.

-walker
That my friend is a better satisfaction to me than 5k and someone making a$$loads of money off of it in my book.

At the least, if I won, I should be able to walk into just about any microbrewery in the country, and get a free beer. Not only that, but I might be able to get a job as a brewmaster as well. Maybe even use the notoriety to get financial support to open my own brewpub. Lots of good could come out of it. The only downside is sending in 4 bottles of my best stuff.

201_chappelle_samjackson_m1.jpg

Latest posts

Back