Help to find a recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, and I'm having a great time! We were sitting around the fire last night, drinking my first "real" homebrew, a great brown ale. (Mr. Beer does not count!). Anyway, the others started calling me "Brewmistress" as the female counterpoint to brewmaster. The conversation quickly deteriorated as others shared the images this inspired. The one good thing out of this drunken brainstorming was the name of an ale- "Spank Me Ale".

Now, I need a recipe for a extract brew that can live up to that name! Any ideas? In exchange for your help, I'll be glad to post the label I come up with!

Lorena

I'm thinking some kind of red ale, something vibrant. Something that looks like a pair of buttocks after a good spanking. A blueberry ale makes me think of bruises, which makes me think that SOMEBODY didn't respect the "Safe Word."

Well... is the beer going to spank the drinker or is drinking it going to make a person want to get spanked?
These details are very important in recipe formulation. :mug:

What types of beer do you like?

I like all kinds of beer. I'm not able to lager yet, but hoping I can learn that in the fall/ winter when the temperatures cooperate. My house tends to be cool (cold?) summer and winter as we live in the northwoods, but the basement is around 50-55 degrees 9 months of the year. My kitchen area is 65-71 degrees in the summer, 62 in the winter.

Right now I've got an English brown ale in primary, caramel cream ale in secondary, and an English Brown Ale now I'm drinking. I like these alot, but I like things that are hoppier, too. My husband does not like porters, stouts, or real hoppy ales and he's the one I'm trying to please since he's my chief bottler and carboy hauler.

I like the idea of a red ale- that sounds like it might be a good beer with a good name. (Spank Me Red) or some other ridiculous name.

Any recipes for an extract with grains that would be rich, tasty, and a good hop profile (but not too hoppy)? Or am I wrong about a red ale?

Thanks so much for your replies- I LOVE this forum.

Lorena

Give this one a look. You will have to steep some specialty grains bit I think it will fit the bill. You might consider adding about 1/8 pound of chocolate malt to this recipe. It will add some red color.

Oh... will I get spanked for suggesting this??? :(

McDermott's Irish Ale (Soon to be Spank Me Red)

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.63
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.86
Anticipated SRM: 15.7
Anticipated IBU: 42.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.0 5.50 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
15.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
1.9 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 31.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 11.1 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

I've got a red ale in secondary right now that I added a couple bags of raspberries to. Went from a kinda brownish redish hue to this real vibrant, almost maroon color. Another week and I can take a taste sample, another two after that and I'll know if it was a sucess. But if the color is important and you like that flavor, might be something to consider.

Back